PDA

View Full Version : Low Blood Sugar

countrygirl
19-04-10, 21:16
I posted saying I had joined weight watchers as I need to lose quite a fe stones in weight but once again have got same problem with low blood sugar as every other time I try to reduce my calories alot. I have been sent to couple of consultants about this problem and they all scratch their heads and can't find anything wrong but this is what happens. If I reduce my calories as weight watchers tell you to then after about 4 days I will lose about 3lbs but on 4th day i feel starving hungry and faint all day and have to keep eating which means I over eat and my blood sugar stays low all day as well. My husband is diabetic so can do my own blood sugar but I only do it if I feel like I have low blood sugar.

The last consultant i saw did loads of blood tests about 4 yrs ago and could find nothing wrong and also saw dietician who told me to just eat slightly less than I was to lose weight very slowly.

I haven't had any blood sugar problems for past 6 months but then I haven't lost any weight either.

GP just looked at me as if I was mad last time I asked about it and told me to diet:shrug: to lose weight - I wish I could.

nomorepanic
19-04-10, 21:22
I assume you are not eating the right foods then if the blood sugars go low?

Clair
19-04-10, 21:27
I'm also dieting and lost 3 1/2 stone with weight watchers, now calorie counting. To stop me from feeling weak and too fuzzy and hungry I've found it best to make sure i get some slow releasing energy food into me such as some carbs (pasta or potatoes for example). A banana as a mid-morning snack does the trick too or a handful of peanuts!

I know that these foods have high points and calorie values but you really don't need alot to keep you going. I now have just 25g of salted peanuts as a snack and that's fine...and I have a massive appetite! xxx

countrygirl
19-04-10, 21:38
Thanks both - i think that I was cutting out the high points food to keep my points low but not eating filling foods like cheese or bananas ( i hate nuts!) I was eating things like organic cornflakes and lots of chicken which is very healthy but for me causes low blood sugar I seem to need some fat as in small amounts of cheese to keep my blood sugar up although it doesn't make sense.

I never eat white carbs or sugar always wholemeal grain but I once did as a Dr asked and tried the low carb diet and was so ill with low blood sugar that I had to stop and go back to eating wholegrain carbs.