PDA

View Full Version : Heart rate

PokerFace
20-04-10, 09:32
IDK if this is in the right section so sorry if it's not.

Since my anxiety/panic attacks started I've done virtually NO exercise cuz I was too scared. This was about 5/6 weeks ago and I started jus going for a little walk yesterday and I was walking REALLY slowly for like 10 minutes and my heart was goin extremely fast. I just double backed and went home and thought I'd try again today but the same thing happend. It goes so fast its gotta be up near 200. I don't know if it's anxiety + lack of exercise thats making it do this or not doing anything for 5/6 weeks has really messed up my heart and somethings very wrong. When I get in and sit for a few minutes it goes back down to normal, but I can't just sit around doing no exericise for the rest of my life cuz that will make me really unwell.

I'm too scared to go to the doctors cuz I'm terrified of them, just the smell of the building is enough to send me into a panic attack so really would like to go there as a last resort. I'm just really scared of giving myself a heart attack cuz seriously it goes so fast.

Does anyone elses heart do this and will it get better if I keep going for that little walk every day til I can build it up?

clairabella
20-04-10, 09:55
hi.....ive got a rapid heart rate mine is 105bpm when im resting god knows what it gets up to when im rushing around......my doctor reassured me it was fine and would do me no harm to beat this fast.....he pescribed me beta blockers to see if this helps if not i have to go back and see him...doing any form of exercise increases your heart rate quite dramatically.. it then returns to normal once rested which yours seems to do.........does your gp offer a drop in service where you can see the nurse who will check your bp and pulse rate it only takes a few minutes and maybe that wont be as scary for you.The more you worry the more you are going to increase your pulse.......take care....

skippy66
20-04-10, 10:34
HI,I really think you should see your doctor,that is really high.I would if I was you make an appointment tomorrow.Take Care
Rhonda

Totally unhelpful on a HA forum

PokerFace
20-04-10, 10:37
Ya I burst into tears when I read that. Thanks for tryin to help though I know you mean well.:)

lindajane1971
20-04-10, 11:24
Hi Pokerface,
You said that it goes back to normal once your home and sitting down. So when you do stuff around the house is your heart rate normal too?? It does sound like anxiety if you only feel this when your outside. I am like this a bit when im out and its make me afraid to leave the house unacompainied. I have come to terms with this and told myself its anxiety and forcing myself to ignore it and get out. Its not easy but it is possible, just dont give up and keep trying. I remind myself that the last time i was out and felt like that i was ok and i will be ok again.
good luck xx

Peter_Scott
20-04-10, 11:55
Hi OP and welcome to the forum,

OK first off try not to panic, you are fine. If your resting pulse rate is normal or near to it that is most important. Anything under 100 beats per min is not un common, I have had a resting rate over 100 before if I have some anxiety.

Your pulse SHOULD go up on excersise if it does not then you have a problem, so you are fine. What the docs look for is how fast your pulse returns to normal when you rest, this is far more important. Just try to relax, don't keep taking your pulse rate this will make you worse in the long run. If you do want to take it ask a person/friend who knows how to feel a pulse (it is not always easy) and only count for 15 secs then multiply by 4, you will be fine,Peter

PokerFace
20-04-10, 14:13
Thanks for all your replies really put my mind at ease. When I'm not doing anything is around 80 and when I come back from the walk it only takes a few minutes to go back to normal. Is just so horribly fast when I'm walking so slow scares me loads.

lindajane1971
20-04-10, 14:25
I had a weirdy thing happen today when i went shopping with my gran, i had the adrenaline rush thingy again and was lightheaded and had the urge to get out the shop quick......however i remembered i ordered some rescue remedy spray from ebay and it arrived saturday and was in my bag....i used it and carried on and it seemed to work! Maybe if its anxiety doin this to you when your out you should give it a try? Didnt do me any harm.

skippy66
20-04-10, 15:26
Take it from me the best thing you can do is bite the bullet and go for a long walk or even jog. This in my experience is the only way to break the fear-anxiety symptoms-fear cycle.

Your racing heart is classic anxiety combined with you being out of shape. It is harmless and will not kill you despite being uncomfortable.

SleeplessFog
20-04-10, 16:39
I agree with Skippy. I had a hard time going back to exercise because I would feel my heart rate get up a lot and then I would feel like I had rubber legs. Talk about out of shape! Just keep going...don't let the fear stop you from getting out there and doing something even if its just a slow walk for 20-30 minutes. :yesyes:

Good luck!

Brunette
23-04-10, 11:27
Something that happened last night:

My OH has bought a blood pressure monitor on the advice of his Occupational Health nurse. (He is otherwise very healthy but it's inherited).

I asked him to take mine, which he did and it was slightly low which is normal for me. However it also measures heart rate and he noticed mine was 80 (I had just got home and had been walking quite fast for 15 minutes) and got all worrried about it.

I thought it was amusing for an anxiety sufferer to be reassuring someone without anxiety rather than the other way round, especially since I can get a bit fixated on my heart sometimes! :)

I am just getting back into regular running for the first time in about 8 months. It is giving me a few some palps and an edgy feeling for a little while afterwards but I'm not letting it get me down!

Typer
23-04-10, 11:34
My heart goes fast, slow and occasionally normal and just wants to do its own thing. I know it is anxiety, coupled with me being too sedate and not exercising anymore. If your resting heart is 80, that is good.

Have your tried dancing around the house...dancing is supposed to be good heart exercise. You could start with 10 minutes and build up.

Brunette
23-04-10, 12:44
Actually my RHR is about 66 so even better - my OH was the one worrying, not me :)

Hm - no, not a dancer Typer but I do walk a fair bit and do Yoga (term starts next week).

Typer
23-04-10, 15:16
Yeah I saw that. In would love to learn to do Yoga

junie7
23-04-10, 17:17
Hi Pokerface,
I doubt very much whether your heart really is going that fast. When I was in the back of an ambulance having the most horrendous palpitations and I felt like my heart was about to jump out my chest, the paramedics said my heart rate and blood pressure were fine.

You must try and gradually build up your excercise routine every day, your heart is a muscle and needs to be excercised otherwise it gets lazy. At first your heart may beat faster and you may even get breathless but after a few weeks things will get back to normal.

I would advise as routine to get your blood pressure taken and if you don't want to go to your doctors surgery then I believe Boots or other good chemists will check this for you.

Junie7