PDA

View Full Version : Low Blood Sugar Symptoms

devon_guy
22-01-06, 20:14
Lately I've been getting low blood sugar symptoms, feeling shaky, light headed, but when I eat it goes away. I have seen my GP and he says I'm not diabetic, so why does it happen?? Could it be anything to do with anxiety?

Any input would be very welcome.

Tim

andrewjdavid2005
22-01-06, 20:19
I get something similair myself, i sometimes get very lightheaded and shaky but when i eat it eases off, i have been tested for diabetes afew times but i haven't got it and i dont know what causes it either.

darkangel
22-01-06, 20:25
Hi Tim

I am exactly the same. If I go for more than 3 hours without food I start to get very lightheaded, shaky and the feeling that Im going to pass out if I dont eat something. I eat healthily and regularly and like you have been tested for diabetes. I am not sure how much is psychological though because the other night i had my dinner at 5.30, ate a slice of toast at 7.30 cos i was going out so that was to last me til i got back home. By 11 I was starting to get anxious but I knew it was time for me to eat something but I went back to my friends house and watched part of a film and by the time I got home at 12.30 I realised I hadnt had my usual fix of food and I was OK - the symptoms had worn off. I have always used food to help deal with my panic attacks.

Not sure about you but my fix has to be bread related!!

Good luck in finding out more.

Darkangel x

........life is for living not just for surviving

Meg
22-01-06, 20:39
Hypoglycemia (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189)
Gi Diet (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3179)
sugar addiction and our moods. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6908)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

jackie
22-01-06, 21:13
tim this is very common and while it is not nice, hearing all of us have it will hopefully make you feel better.

it is directly related to food. i find the symptoms of anxiety get worse altogether with lack of food.

hope this helps

jackie

Phill2
26-01-06, 04:00
I suffer it too.Its called hypoglycemia and produces the same symptoms as anxiety.
Try having a morning and afternoon snack as well as a banana before bed. Low GI foods work best. Works for me
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

Arclite
26-01-06, 11:40
I get this also.

I've been suffering from Anxiety and Panic Attacks for the last Nine months. I find that when I get hungry my sugar level drops really low and I HAVE to eat within the next 30 minutes or I'll go past it and have indigestion or a full blown panic attack.

I took some time off work for awhile and did really well. I had a strict routine when it came to food. I would eat a bowl of Porridge for Breakfast (with Water, not Milk), some toast with a slice of ham ontop as a mid morning snack, a full lunch (not junk food) with a pudding, a piece of fruit or more toast as a afternoon snack, a full dinner and then perhaps more toast as supper.

Following this pattern I found that I didn't have any problems for 2-3 weeks and was making great progress.

Going back to work though and this changed. I still have the porridge, but snacks in between meals have become biscuits and choclate flapjacks instead of the toast/ham. Over the last two weeks I have felt the anxiety creeping back in...

I wonder if this is down to the biscuit snacks...

notsofast
16-06-10, 04:34
I suffer it too.Its called hypoglycemia and produces the same symptoms as anxiety.
Try having a morning and afternoon snack as well as a banana before bed. Low GI foods work best. Works for me
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

Thanks for the great posts. I want to begin by saying I stress to the bone. I worry about the same things all the time. But it's not about being unhappy, it's just about habitual anxiety.

I have bouts of weakness that come on fast and hard in the later afternoon, can seem to be triggered by a stressful thought, if I eat oatmeal in the morning with nothing else (you guys call it porridge I think:) I crash hard. I thought that was an interesting mention because many of you mention eating porridge. Usually my "sugar drops" I call them, are satisfied by as much food and fast as I can get the junkier the better.

Now, that being said, the drops have been more frequent lately. I attribute that to a sudden decrease in exercise. I used to be an avid tread miller. I also attribute it to a sudden increase in sugar. For the last two or three years I have really limited my consumption of hydrogenated oils and sugar to almost none at times. Focusing on supplementing heart healthy oils and whole grains. 5 months or so, and I have these bouts about twice a week now and they are getting scary. Oddly enough I have some kind of strange reaction that radiates a dull ache or some kind of impulse down my right toe.

When I have these bouts, I feel like I could pass out, or puke or go to sleep or cry or something. . and then with a good meal, they go away.

Annabelle
16-06-10, 12:58
im so glad someone else brought this up - this is causing me major problems at the moment. I get so scared of having a dip in my blood sugar im eating constantly and iv put on nealr 2 stone in a year because im scared to be too hungry! I try and eat healthyly but i get to about 2 -3pm and crash and just eat biscuits or go ahead bars or bread, anything for a sugar hit! Im too scared to change my diet as i know i will get huge sugar and carb cravings which im worried about but i know in order to have a more stable blood sugar i should folow a low gi diet - im too scared to go through the cravings first though!
its rubbish - im tired of being a fatty! - i think this is called being stuck between a rock and a hard place! any suggestions welcome!
anna xx

jaded jean
16-06-10, 15:48
Hey bananas are good they are a slow release food, I tend to graze throught the day having a good dinner in the evening. and a milky drink either hot chocolate or horlicks before bed.
JEAN

saz2121
17-06-10, 19:11
I have this quite often 2. I would say 3 days out of five and i will get the same symptoms at almost the same time on these days (usually at work, over stressed and hungry). I keep a bar of chocolate in my desk drawer for these occasions.

Usually happens between 3 and half past, supper is at 5ish so i pop a few squares of choc into my mouth and give it a few minutes, i feel better after this.

Body needs sugar of any kind......

BigDaz
20-06-10, 00:21
im so glad someone else brought this up - this is causing me major problems at the moment. I get so scared of having a dip in my blood sugar im eating constantly and iv put on nealr 2 stone in a year because im scared to be too hungry! I try and eat healthyly but i get to about 2 -3pm and crash and just eat biscuits or go ahead bars or bread, anything for a sugar hit! Im too scared to change my diet as i know i will get huge sugar and carb cravings which im worried about but i know in order to have a more stable blood sugar i should folow a low gi diet - im too scared to go through the cravings first though!
its rubbish - im tired of being a fatty! - i think this is called being stuck between a rock and a hard place! any suggestions welcome!
anna xx

Just cut down slowly I think. Cut out one snack per day for a week and go from there. Presumably you get through the night without eating so your body can cope for hours without a snack. Maybe have a lie-in at the weekend, skip breakfast and see what happens :) You'll probably find it's not a problem.