PDA

View Full Version : Swimming teacher fainting

charlie20
20-04-10, 21:45
Hiya

Just looking for some tips!
Im a swim teacher and I suffer from anxiety...my anxiety comes from a huge fear of fainting in public...i am so proud of myself for carrying on teaching swimming (once a week for 3 hours as i am out uni) but i spend my whole week leading up to it dreading it and worry so much that i will pass out on poolside in front of my collegues/parents and the kids!
The problem is its so hot!
I have fainted before, i used to alot when i was a kid but never in a swimming environment (and i was pretty much raised in chlorine!) and since i have been grown up i have fainted once, when i was ill and very hungry...
Anyway, any tips would be much appreciated....i wish i didnt dread it so much...it sucks! And i enjoy it when i dont get a sudden rush of anxiety!
Thanks guys, hope i posted this is right place!!

ElizabethJane
20-04-10, 21:55
You could try carrying a large water bottle around and taking sips from that. Also one of those hand held fans might help. If it gets too hot and stuffy you must take a break. Go outside where it is much cooler. I know that fear can be self fulfilling in that we fear the fear itself. Well done for confronting your anxiety.

mary3
21-04-10, 07:58
Have u tried rescue remedy? when i feel unwanted symptoms coming i take this and it really helps, you can put some in bottled water and sip it whilst your doing the lessons. I know how you feel about fainting, it has only happend to me once but im always scared of it happening again although i dont know why as fainting is harmless. Usually i find the symptoms of anxiety mimic the feeling that you might faint, im starting to learn that if i dont fight this feeling but let it wash over me and then think 'see i didnt faint, im ok, its anxiety' is starting to help a little. Well done you though for not giving up something you enjoy.