PDA

View Full Version : Can medication just stop working?

popsy
21-04-10, 10:07
Im confused i have been told different things by different doctors. Some say you can become immune to an anti-depressent others say that its impossible for a anti-d to stop working/become immune!? :shrug:

What do other people think?

Ive been on Seroxat for 10 years and i really dont think its working for me anymore, i also have had to have the doseage increased to the maximum amount until i got the same effect as a lower dose in the past. So have i answered my own question? LOL! :unsure:

Thoughts anyone please? Im very confused xxxxx

sb001f8994
21-04-10, 12:40
Yes, you do seem to have answered your own question! Im not on meds anymore and stopped taking mine 20 odd years ago after being on them for about 11 years (I was on 2mg valium and anafranil-cant remeber the dosage). I didnt feel any different being off them than being on them so maybe I was immune to them! Is this not why they increase the dosage because your body gets used to the same intake and have to up it for maximum effect?
We will probably never know the answer but we are not alone as the experts dont seem to know either!!!

maybeoneday
21-04-10, 22:36
popsy
im also on seroxat worked great for 7 years now im bad again, doc want me to up them but im so scared i will feel ill with side effects .....i felt terrible when i first went on them, did you find they made u ill when u upped the doisage?
denise

Danath
22-04-10, 00:39
I got better on prozac and then after about 6 months to a year I relapsed and started with the panic attacks again, I dont think i helped myself by drinknig and allowing stress into my life but thats what happened.

Deepest Blue
22-04-10, 00:49
I was taking propranalol for a number of years and they stopped working for me, my anxiety returned :( My gp increased the dose to 80mg and they give me bad side effects so I don't take them anymore, back on 40mg but are not working. I don't know what else to do really.

popsy
22-04-10, 10:56
Just got back from Psychiatrist about this. I am on 60mg when they increased it from 30mg i didnt feel any worse for it as i was in a bad place anyway, so i dont know if it was that or the side effects, only one i really noticed was the dry mouth thing. I wouldnt worry about increasing it slowley, the side effects DEFO arent like when you are first put on it, i can promise you that!!!!
I dont think my 60mg is working anymore though, psych has decided to leave me on this dose but use psychological treatments instead, am having 16 weeks CBT and then reviewing how im feeling. He said the only way to see if a med is still working is to start reducing it, but to me thats way to scary!!! Im going to try CBT first.
Anyway psyc concluded yet meds can stop working or the power of the dose can stop being so effective.
C xxx :)

popsy
22-04-10, 11:03
I got better on prozac and then after about 6 months to a year I relapsed and started with the panic attacks again, I dont think i helped myself by drinknig and allowing stress into my life but thats what happened.

Apparently drinking doesnt effect the medication in itself but what it does do is knock out the effect of the medication by increasing the level of anxiety you feel because of the use of alcohol, so in otherwords making the mediaction have to work harder to stop the anx, which it cant. (unsure if this explanation makes sense sorry!)

I was using alcohol as self medication in the evenings for 5 years, giving myself a couple of hours break from the anxiety by drinking a bottle of wine, this helped in the beginning but just made me more anxious i was becoming some sort of alcoholic later on and ruining my liver and caused stress between me and my partner.

Ive stopped now (3 weeks) my head is clearer in the morning and i dont even fancy it now, cant say the anxiety has decreased but i feel better for not being dependent on something and relations between myself and my partner regarding it are much improved.

If thats any help...? :blush: