PDA

View Full Version : unintentional weight loss worrying me.....

saz2121
21-04-10, 11:26
HI Folks,

I'm having a little 'flip out' over how many people are saying "are you still losing weight?". Most people would think this is a good thing but i'm terrified as i'm not trying.... at all.

I'm still within a healthy range but my weight is dropping (not drastically) but dropping and i'm terrified it's due to some illness... like AIDS, cancer or something just as sinister.

A quick overview of weight loss:

I had my implant removed last May (after 5 years and an increase in 2 stone). I started on the pill and lost weight gradually, very slowly, until i became pretty ill with food poisoning for around 6 weeks last July and 1.5 stone dropped off. Between July and Jan, i've kept a decent weight of around 10 st 4 (i'm just under 5" 8) but in the last few days i've dropped to a under 10 (around 9st 12). I can see it myself i've lost a bit more weight and i'm eating my usual (maybe not as much as i should).

I'm so concerned there is something underlying which is causing unintentional weight loss - i have anxiety over HIV & Cancer, tumours anyway and this is not helping!

My wedding is in 2 months and trust me, i would rather have some beef on me than none at all! I just don't want to waste away.

I know this is not dramatic weight loss but it's concerning me and i'm very upset that i can't look at it as being a positive thing!

And with people going on about it all the time, it makes me feel worse. I'm worried they notice because i look ill.

Please help, has anyone had this before?

I'm praying there's nothing wrong.

xx

Peter_Scott
21-04-10, 11:36
Hi OP,

Sorry to hear that you are worried.

I had unintentional weight loss, about 10-15Kg last year, it may well be something I am still being tested.

Anxiety can make you loose weight, both because you do not eat as much and/or your body burns up more calories.

The rule the doctors use is if you loose 10% or more of your body weight unintentionally then it should be investigated otherwise they do not worry.

Most important if the weight continues to fall, it is worth talking to your doctor,

Peter