PDA

View Full Version : Panicking NOW! Help please...

CJA09
21-04-10, 20:20
Hello everyone
I'm feeling totally overwhelmed and freaked at the moment. An hour or so ago when I was eating my dinner I felt 2 palpitations and then felt like my heart was racing. I couldn't continue eating and couldn't face going to my evening class. I'm now hiding away after racing heart lead to a panic attack. Although I'm not panicking madly now I am still anxious and feel like my heart us raving even though I'm just laying on my bed. I'm aware of my heart beat in my head and hands and I keep taking my pulse which is more than 60-80 a minute! I'm very over weight and panic that I'm going to have a heart attack cause of my weight.... I feel so wound up :*(
how do u cope/ get out of this? X

Jaco45er
21-04-10, 20:26
Hiya CJ

Firstly, palps are nothing to do with heart attacks, they are very common. You can get them when you feel them, you can get them and don't feel them, but in most cases they are benign.

Your pulse is fine :) anywhere between 60 - 100 bpm at rest (and not stressed) is normal.

You will be aware of your heart while you rest. If you are stressed and anxious, you are tuned into your body, thats why you can feel the pulse in your ears, neck, chest, tummy, hands, all over, but again, harmless. It's just those anxiety chemicals whizzing around your bloodstream.

May I suggest you sip some water, and maybe even try going for a short stroll if possible. This will help to work off those anxiety chemicals you are experiencing now.

Above all, do not let your mind run away with you, you are just having a wee mad anxiety attack, totally harmless in not unpleasant.

TC

Jaco

smpomeroy
21-04-10, 20:54
hey there - its ok I can promise you nothing bad is going to happen to you - I have been there so many times so so so many times and totally know how you feel. Try to do some breathing exercises breath in tot he count of four and out slowly to the count of six - it will help. tell you what helps too is to sing your fav song really loud and it will help regulate your breathing and distract you which will reduce the anxiety.

Im available if you need someone to talk to who understands

suz

CJA09
21-04-10, 21:27
Thankyou SO SO much to both of you for replying! You have really helped reassure and calm me down! Been breathing and singing! Lol! And good to know resting heart rate is below 100!! Thank you again! :)

Maj
21-04-10, 21:34
Don't let these nuisance beats scare you. Just carry on with what you were going to do and they'll fade into the background. Lying down makes them more obvious and makes you wind yourself up!! They are harmless and another common symptom of anxiety. I've had the whole shebang and am still alive and kickin!!
Myra x:hugs:

smpomeroy
21-04-10, 21:38
Im really glad it helped you - its odd singing often helps me - just cant do it in work or they may cart me off to the looney bin - singing civil servants dont go down too well!!

well done for getting through it..... now you know you can and next time you will know what to do.

suz

Kelley
22-04-10, 13:43
Some good posts guys. Very reassuring for all of us! Mine have just started again the last few days, and i thought i was over them???? Myra, i enjoy reading your input every time, thanks alot :)

Kel x

Jaco45er
22-04-10, 14:10
When I sing it's eveyone else within earshot that get the panics ;)