PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Escitalopram

newbie76
22-04-10, 14:35
A week ago my GP prescribed me 28 tablets of Citalopram (NHS) and I have also asked him to refer me to a private psychiatrist as I have BUPA insurance.

Today the private psychiatrist told me it's better if I switch to Escitalopram and just wrote the name of the medicine on his headed paper and sent me off to the pharmacy where they told me it was £40 for a month supply! :scared15:

I have paid and collected the new meds, but I am wondering, when I go back next month and he will give me another piece of headed paper for 28 more Escitalopram, can I then go to my GP and ask him to "convert" that in an NHS prescription and only pay the £7.20?

jool5
22-04-10, 15:33
I had a nightmare trying to get my Escitalopram because of the cost (although the doctor didnt admit it!). I get my prescriptions free because I'm in Wales :0)

Yes you tell ur GP that ur psychiatrist has recommended these meds and ask the GP to prescribe them for you, so you'll get what u need for a lot cheaper.

Escitalopram does the same as Citalopram but is kinder in terms of side effects (speaking from experience) so the phychiatrist is trying to do you a favour but ur doc is watching the pennies.

If ur doc is reluctant like mine was, you must INSIST on the Escitalopram as it is ur right to try them. Ur doc, like mine may try and tell u that Cit and Esc are the same - they're not and don't get fobbed off.

Good luck

Jools x

Dee01
08-05-10, 17:26
come to ireland - we're totally ripped off!!!