PDA

View Full Version : how long does it take to overcome this anxiety?

miss_hystericus
22-04-10, 15:15
I had my first panic attack after christmas, I was driving in the car when I felt like my arm and face were going numb and weak which casued me to have an anxiety attack because I thought I was having a stroke.
I became worse constantly thinking there was one thing or another wrong with me so I went to the GP who took bloods etc and told me I was ticking over nicely but that she thought I may be depressed - last year was a tough year, a close family member passed away a week before I was due to get married and as you can imagine it was stressful for many reasons and the GP thought maybe these events had caught up with me and caused the depression.
I went on prozac for all of 4 days which made me much worse so came off it, tried some therapy which wasnt helpful but over the past few weeks I thought I had really made a breakthrough, the anxiety seemed to really calm down and I thought I had control but it seems to be creeping back slowly and once again I feel teary and panicky at least once a day. I suppose what im really asking it whether its normal to have the relapses, is the road to recovery plagued by the odd low period, I am in no way as bad as I was but im worried if I dont get a grip I will go back to my lowest ebb once more.
Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

julia
22-04-10, 19:26
Hi there i can guarantee you its normal to have highs and lows and just because you are having a low definaetly doesnt mean you are going back to the beginning you wont let yourself your body hs learnt not too ,so just stop fighting it go with it and trust yourself you will be ok and have done well to get this far xxxx:yahoo:

miss_hystericus
22-04-10, 19:46
Thank you Julia, I think I just have to accept that I wont be well overnight - wishful thinking!
x