PDA

View Full Version : Taking propranolol Eeek!

Andrea81
22-04-10, 16:36
Hi, I'm new to this forum and just want to ask about Propranolol. I've been prescribed them as I suffer with Panic attacks and generalised anxiety for years and now I feel I need something to make my quality of life a little easier.

So anyway... I hate taking anything stronger than paracetamol and feel quite reluctant to use these for these reasons:
1)I might not like the side-effects
2)I feel like I failed in some way that I couldn't get better on my own!
3)I'm strangely worried they wont work and then I will be absolutly stuck! (If that makes any sense!!!) :blush:

So I was thinking, how did you guys get on? And can I just take them when I need them? How long should I leave it until they start to work etc... I have a slow release one that supposedly lasts 24 hours????

Sorry for all the questions????:blush:

Andrea :)

Willowlrp
25-04-10, 23:55
hi andrea i dont know if this will help but i got put on 10mg propronalol just before xmas and i had to take them as and when needed but then got my dosage increased about a month ago to 40mg 3 times per day.

i havent told my doctor yet as i think i might have caught a stomach bug at the time but i stopped taking mine due to me having bad guts but i do still take my 10mg as and when needed with no side effects whatsoever.

i do hope this helps.

Deepest Blue
26-04-10, 01:20
Hi Andrea, and :welcome: to the forum.
I've been taking Propranolol for many years and I have never had any side effects whilst on them and my dosage has ranged from 10mg up to 80mg, I am back down to 40mg at the moment twice a day, the 80mg was the slow release ones but i wanted to go back down to 40mg as I didn't see a noticable difference anyway so I thought why take a higher dose for no reason.

With regard to your second point, you should never think that way because then you will never get better. Nobody is a failure - you included. Some people can maybe cope better without meds but why just settle for coping/struggling when there is help out there readily available? What is there to lose anyway, rather than thinking you've failed be proud that you've actually decided to do something about it which takes more courage than just unhappily living with it.

As for your final point, sometimes it's a case of trial and error, however, Propranolol is only a beta block and administered to help sooth your symptoms rather than an anti depressant which usually helps to make you feel happier to, but I don't think those, just Propranolol.

I hope you will feel better about taking them :hugs:

Take Care.

LowrieT
26-04-10, 20:27
Hi. I was put onto Propranalol Xmas time 40mg. and have been fine taking them. I jsut hate having to take tablets and very reluctant in case of side effects. However, I had no side effects with Propranalol. Recently for some reason my GP has put me onto half enderal 80mg which is still propranalol, again no side effects.

Take care.

Going home
27-04-10, 00:09
Hi there. Ive been taking propranolol (half-inderal) for the last couple of years now without any problems. All betablockers do is to block the adrenaline receptors, stopping too much adrenaline affecting the heartrate in very anxious people....they just slow down your heart a bit and make you feel like you're in control again. There aren't really very many problems with it compared to some meds. Propranolol is one of the older betablockers but also one of the most reliable....though there are some people who don't get on with them, most do and they're worth trying, don't be scared of them. I'm aware that you can take them on an 'as and when' basis and have read that some celebs take the odd one before a performance! I take mine every day as an 80mg slow release capsule....usually with my breakfast.

Anna :)