PDA

View Full Version : Just need to reassure myself (again)

HannahN
22-04-10, 19:13
Hey
Just before I got health anxiety I had flashy lights, sparkles and light shadows (only way to describe them) in my eyes. And they still haven't gone! Been to the doctors and opticians alot of times over the past year about it and they have promised me nothing is wrong. I know i shouldnt panic as i'm only 19 but i cant help it. My memory is also really awful recently and apparently this is due to my anxiety. I am not googling anything ever again as apparently i have a brain tumour, diabetes, alzheimers or some other horrible disease.
I'm at the point where i feel as though i cant cope anymore and i am always worrying.
any suggestions?
Thanks x
Hannah

PixieL
22-04-10, 19:26
Hi Hannah, well if the ioticians didnt find anything then id say you were fine, they can spot any serious conditions right away. I get shadow spots, bright lines and patterns across my field of vision all the time, everyone has some damage to there eyes caused by bright lights. Have you ever looked directly at the sun or had alot of pictures taken with a flash camera? They cause alot of these problems.

HannahN
22-04-10, 19:33
Not really, maybe i am just a little sensitive to lights. Thank you for replying :)

miss_hystericus
22-04-10, 19:43
Hi Hannah,
I get these sparkles aswell, pretty normal according to my GP. I also suffer with poor memory too, one of the worst symptoms of anxiety for me. I also find myself doing silly things like trying to put a bottle of milk onto the kettle base etc. I hope this has ressured you a little!
x

Peter_Scott
23-04-10, 10:57
Hi OP,

Do you or your family have a history of migraines?

What you could be describing are auras, these are harmless visual disturbances due to migraines. You can get auras without the dreaded migraine pain. Migraines often start in late teens, and you can grow out of them. I have had them all my life, and at the moment they are daily, but I am still being tested.

Auras can be anything from the classic flashing lights, moving text (shimmer), very poor memory especially short term, difficulty finding words, and even temporary blindness. The important thing is they normally pass, and as said you hopefully will grow out of them.

Anxiety can trigger an aura or full blown migraine so try to relax and that should help,Peter

Typer
23-04-10, 11:08
I was just going to write the same thing about auras. I worked with someone who's only symptom of migraines was the flashing and shimmering lights and sometimes she evne felt spaced out.

HannahN
28-04-10, 08:58
Hey
My doctor told me about a year ago that this is properly what i am experiencing. But even when my doctor tells me I still have difficulty believing them. Thank you for the replies :) went to the doctor yesterday eyes are fine, bloods are fine, ears are fine. so yeah i'm fine lol just need 4 moles removing x