PDA

View Full Version : Clonus

stuart88
23-04-10, 04:28
When I'm sitting down, if I'm on my toes only, and my foot is in a certain position it starts to bounce involuntarily.
This is clonus, isn't it?

I've been suffering twitches for the past 8 months and I'm sure there is something wrong with me. The backs of my hands have really thinned out and holding certain things like a fork, games controller, pen etc just doesn't feel "right". There's no proper weakness I don't think. Don't know if I'm getting worked up over nothing.
I've also got unexplained bleeding gums. Gums are fine according to the dentist and I had a CBC which came back ok. There's obviously something causing them to bleed at least twice a day though.

My Doctor prescribed me citalopram for my anxiety a couple of months back but I stopped taking it after a month as it's really useless if I'm still having physical symptoms.

stuart88
25-04-10, 04:19
Thanks, but my legs don't just bounce randomly. It's when I'm on my toes, if I slowly lower my heels there's a point where my leg will started bouncing involuntarily.

Kind of worrying.

Onwards & Upwards
25-04-10, 17:04
"Thanks, but my legs don't just bounce randomly. It's when I'm on my toes, if I slowly lower my heels there's a point where my leg will started bouncing involuntarily."

I've had that many times in my life, I'd say it's completely normal, I've always put it down to the muscles being strained whilst doing it as it's not really a natural position is it?

Totally nothing to worry about, I'd say. I can even make it happen on purpose!

guitarpants
25-04-10, 18:58
Thanks, but my legs don't just bounce randomly. It's when I'm on my toes, if I slowly lower my heels there's a point where my leg will started bouncing involuntarily.

Kind of worrying.

That's completely normal. Your brain does a ridiculous amount of processing behind the scenes to keep you balanced. When you in an "in between" position like that your muscles fluctuate to keep you from tipping over. The brain is a wonderful machine.

Also, it is not something common to do, especially if you are weakened a bit. The only people that may not experience this are die-hard athletes.

stuart88
27-04-10, 09:43
Thanks everyone for the reassurance. Just back from my Doctors appointment; didn't go very well.

I explained to my Doctor that my Citalopram were useless, as all they are going to do is decrease my anxiety, not completely change the mindset I have ie. me thinking I'm dying. I also stated that I can't start a clean slate until I can be sure that my physical symptoms can't be attributed to anything more serious than anxiety.

Anyway, I reiterated my symptoms. Twitching, my leg bouncing(which she misinterpreted as leg jerks) and what I thought was atrophy on the back of my hands. She didn't test my reflexes or anything like that.
She asked me what I thought was wrong with me, I truthfully replied "ALS". Her reply, not even kidding, was "what's that?". Eventually she remembered the first word of the Acronym which I then finished for her and informed her that it was a motor neuron disease.

Seems a bit wrong that I'm more clued up than her in regards to it, although in her defense it's not something your average Doctor is going to see in his or her career most likely.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to take this. I mean, one part of me is in half glass full mode and is thinking, "well, she took a quick glance at my hands and she wasn't really too bothered about any of the symptoms I stated so I should just dismiss them and get on with things" and the other half of me isn't so optimistic and is basically thinking "she's clueless".

Am I not right in saying that the Doctors are meant to treat symptoms physically before they head down the mental health route?

Anyway, all in all, back to square one and I'm still dying of ALS.:)