PDA

View Full Version : Breathless when trying to sleep

shakey1961
23-04-10, 10:06
Hi all. Long time no log in!!

Can anyone help. Past few days I've been having problems sleeping. Tuesday morning woke up heart racing and out of breath went down the local A&E. Then following morning same thing happened but not as bad.

This morning woke up at 2:30am feeling like I was having to take a breath and possibly hyperventilating.

Now every time I try to drop off to sleep even for a doze, just as I'm going off I seem to either stop breathing or take a huge gasp which wakes me up.

I feel exhausted.

Strangely it feels like my lungs are super clear.

Any ideas anyone?

I'd be much appreciated for some help on this

Kindest regards

Steve

Maj
23-04-10, 10:31
Your lungs will be fine. You sound as though you are very anxious and tense. Chest tightness and a suffocating feeling are common anxiety symptoms. It's your chest muscles that are tensing and making breathing feel difficult. You will always get enough breath. Try concentrating on taking slow breaths in from your tummy, and out slowly through your mouth. Sometimes just the concentration helps relax you. Don't worry, this will go when you aren't so anxious.
Myra x

shakey1961
23-04-10, 14:24
It's not so much a question of getting my breath it's it's..... it's all weird. I'm fed-up of it now. I presume you're takling about my main chest muscles that are tense, cos if you are they don't feel tense. If it's some other chest muscles that I don't know about then maybe they are tense.

I've had this before, inculding panicking when dropping off - hate it, but it eventually passes.

Why do we seem to get periods of really bad times then go ages when we feel good.

Depressed at the moment

sjr1969
23-04-10, 20:48
hi, i think you are getting what i get. i cant even drop off sometimes as i just wake up gasping as if im going to die. i also get a strange chest sensation too. not pain, just an odd feeling. sort of a physical anxious feeling, but im not anxious if that makes sense. ive started to get it during the day too. i start to feel a little like ive not got enough breath, then follows this strange chest sensation and i feel really poorly with it. tired too. PM me if you want to know more. hope this helps.
sarah x

Gunny22
15-08-10, 00:29
Hi, I have the same symptoms as you have, it is exhausting as I can't sleep and if I do I wake up not being able to breathe properly. It's awful. It was just during the night, but over the last week it has been during the day as well. I am exhausted. All I seem to be doing is concentrating on breathing, most of the time I can't take a deep breath. I keep thinking that I have some underlying health problerm although I have had my heart etc checked. It would be nice to talk to you about how you are coping with these symptoms.
Michelle x

loveletter
15-08-10, 17:41
Had this on and off for a few years but the last week it has been back bad.
Been so bad when going to bed I have almost phoned someone to come and help me as been so scared.
The last couple of days been getting it in the day as well.

I have made myself breath properly how a therapist taught me to do some years back but have fount at night the more I do this and think about it then it seems worse and makes me panic.

I have fount for me the best thing seems to try and do something else to distract myself and not think of it so much.
More easy to do in the day then when one is going to bed.

Kerry B
15-08-10, 17:49
Hi Loverletter, just read you post I am exactely the same as you, I just cannot sleep of a night as I cannot breathe properly like someone is sitting on my chest, and mine is always worse when I go to bed and I am not sleeping at all. Its also like you, happens in the day as well. Ive tried blowing a in a brown bag and also calling No Panic Help line its a recorded message from 10.00 p.m - 10.00 a.m. with a recorded message which does breathing exercises which helps. But is so scarey. x

Anxious_gal
15-08-10, 22:04
I'm sure the doctors would have told you if you were getting heart palpitations.
for me I get them in bed, my hearts pounding and I feel breathless.

it too could be anxiety and being more aware of your breath.
I notice that my shoulders get very tense and I feel a mild choking sensation.
the more you notice it, the worse you feel.

try falling asleep to the radio or some music. I always do that and it helps me a lot.