PDA

View Full Version : What happens next ??!

kd
16-02-04, 15:45
I feel like a different person since i started taking Efexor! Thank God i discoveerd it cos i was becoming a nervous wreck. its changed my life.

What i am a little anxious about is eventually coming off it and returning to the way i was before. Whats the usual length of time to be on something like this.... I am only on 37.5mg a day. i take beta-blockers on top of this when i have a partocularly horrible thing i have to do.

I'm aware that CBT is the best treatment to have at same time as medication. I can't really afford CBT and there isn't anywhr for miles. However, I'm qyuite an analytical person and i feel that I;m doing my own cognitive behavioural therapy by pushing myself to do things I'd oridinarily find panick inducing. I also find that when i feel my heart beginning to race, nostrils flare, mind go overtime.. I'm able to almost say to myself "look whats happening. calm it down" Is this sufficient or would i need CBT before coming off the tablets ? I'd love it if you swere to say that i could stay on efexor for the rest of my life. Its been such a saviour!

Also, I have lost a considerable amount of weight. Firstly because my anxiety had peaked really badly with the start of a new job, and i couldn't eat... and then the tablets semed to reduce my weight. On top of that I' no longer comfort eating which was probably driven by my anxiety/depressed state. I'm just hoping i don't pile on the pounds again, or additionally, i don't really want to lose anymore weight.

So, basically all I'm wondering is ... is this just a "flase" state I'm in at the moment cos of the tablets or will I stay like this regardless. I imagine I'll take beta-blockers on and off for life, but will i be okay without the efexor in time??

i suppose I'm just thinknig (or worrying) ahead!!

Meg
17-02-04, 22:11
Hi Kd,

It is a mood altering drug . If the anxiety inducing issues have moved on or been dealt with then either alone or with CBT you're likely to be fine, if they haven't then you may have more issues in time.

Good Luck and let us know how you are doing and I'm really pleased you are feeling so good.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...