PDA

View Full Version : Just Had Gallbladder Removed, Feel Terrible

BNCfan
24-04-10, 03:09
I had my Gallbladder removed on Wednesday (two days ago) by keyhole surgery and I feel terrible. Has anybody else had this operation and how did it affect them? The doctors didn't tell me until after the operation - and I don't consult Dr Google - that there is a strong chance that I will suffer from chronic diarrhoea for up to a year after the operation and I now wish I hadn't had it, because I already suffer from terrible IBS and can't face anymore symptoms. The IBS already disrupts my life to the point where I can't plan ahead for anything. I'm so depressed and would give anything to go back to Wednesday and say 'NO', but the doctors frightened me into having the operation by telling me what 'might' happen if I didn't have the Gallbladder and stones removed. HELP!

rckclmbr
24-04-10, 05:09
I wish that I could offer more help, but all I can tell you is that regardless of what Google says, you CAN recover without having "chronic diarrhea". One of my good friends had to have her gallbladder removed in an emergency surgery (and had a horrible infection in her pancreas) and she immediately was out ignoring all the "take it easy" recommendations .... she eats anything she wants and has no stomach issues at all.

I know it is different for everyone, but some people don't have any trouble at all.

(and I'm jealous because she eats whatever she wants without issue and my IBS makes me eat a very limited assortment of things!)

So ... I hope that you have a smooth recovery - I know IBS is bad enough as it is!

oneofus
24-04-10, 07:45
Don't worry I had my gall bladdder removed two or three years ago, just in time for Christmas! You'll be pretty sore for a week or two, get up and about in the morning but rest in the afternoon. Keep away from anone with a cold I ended up catching one from my daughter and every time coughed or sneezed it was murder on the stitches.

As for diarrhoea I don't know why your doc's said that. The gall bladder acts (or acted) as a pump to push bile around the gut which is needed to handle fats. Now removing the GB doesn't remove the bile it just disrupts the flow, so until your body adapts you may be a bit out of sorts and a pair of spike running shoes can be handy but only necessary for a week or two and even then you get sufficient warning.

Your greatest danger is other people! Mention you've had your GB whipped out and you'll find every man and his dog you bumped into has had their removed and their story is weirder than yours; so have a good one ready! My vicar would never discuss his sermon with me, but mention gall bladders and he was away fro half an hour.