PDA

View Full Version : A mix of belly issues. Can anyone help?

cinny
24-04-10, 17:00
Hello all, I will try and not ramble on here. I searched and found some help here, but I can find no one with really the combination of things that I am working with. So, to start, I have HA, and I have been diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder. For a few years, I have been battling my HA, and have been to the doc for all sorts of things. Vision issues, bowel issues, heartburn, numb limbs and skin, you can pretty much name it. I have Ativan for those tough days. Here is my current issue.

I thought at one time, three years ago, that I had colon cancer. I was having thin loose dark stools, cramps, etc. Pain in my shoulder blades, in my back, on my sides etc. I had a CT scan, showed all normal from my neck to my bottom. They did find that I have pretty extensive diverticulosis in my large intestine, but that was all. Symptoms didn't clear, and I had an ultrasound on my gall bladder/liver. All normal. Still didn't clear, had a colonoscopy, which was clear. Not even a pollip. Doc said you are fine, see you again in 10 years.

Now, here we are 3 years later. ( I just turned 43 three weeks ago) I had a bout with diverticulitis (infection) on my birthday, felt like someone kicked my in my belly. It was pretty painful, spasm, yucky. Doc started me on two different antibotics. They started working right away, and in 72 hours, I started to feel quite a bit better, but the burning in my colon didn't go away. So I went back, 10 days later at the end of my antibiotics. She pushed all over my belly again, with this time no sharp pain as before. But she still put me on another week of antibiotics, just to be sure. Stay on low fiber, soft food for a while longer. Also started Protonix, a Proton Pump Inhibitor, to take the acid burning out. That seems to be working just fine.

So, here we are. I just finished the antibiotics yesterday. But for the last week, my stools have been loose, very dark, almost black. Not greasy, and no odor at all. I feel almost constipated, but stools are loose, thin and sometimes 3 or 4 small times a day. My colon still aches, especially upper left and upper right, where it makes the turns, and down the left side. Still having some burning below the right shoulder blade, and in the center of my back, between the shoulder blades. Almost like a tight muscle, that I can't stretch.

So, here are my questions... I have never been officially diagnosed with IBS. Does taking antibiotics have a big effect on your stool? Or your Urine? Mine is often dark and sometimes foamy, but usually after a big adrenaline attack, and I am taking so much pills. Also, does the PPI's, proton pump inhibitors change your stool? If you have any experience with that, how does it change? Will it make it loose and very dark? If you have diverticulosis experience, does my aches in my color sound right, and how long until it feels better?

Now, I can't shake that I have stomach C, or some other sort of bowel C. I get caught up in a circle of anxiety, where I am freaked out most of the time, with every little spasm, I am dying. I hate this feeling, and now it is the weekend, and I can't call my Doc. I also cannot afford to have a bunch more tests done. I remember my doc saying that those C's are pretty slow growing, and that it has only been 3 years since my last big scans, which showed normal everything. But I can't shake this feeling.

Does this fit with anything anyone has experience with? :shrug:

oldgraymare
25-04-10, 04:01
antibiotics can wreak havoc on ones digestive system if you take them long enough. they kill the good bacteria along with the bad, its very common for ones stomach and intestines to react.

Adelle
25-04-10, 04:25
My husband is on medication for stomach issues and he has the same bowel movement and his wee is dark aswell. Id say its the medication for sure. :)

rckclmbr
25-04-10, 04:44
you should probably start taking a probiotic to help reintroduce some beneficial bacteria into your gut after all of those antibiotics.

you don't have bowel cancer -- you had a colonoscopy three years ago which was clear, so you're fine. since you have diverticulosis and then developed diverticulitis, it is likely that most of your problems are coming from that -- AND from the side effects of all the harsh antibiotics.

the best thing you can do right now for your stomach is to start taking a probiotic ... which should / could help a lot.

cinny
26-04-10, 05:07
Thank you all for your help. I hope so too. I have started to have a yogurt or two a day, and I look forward to some normalcy. Since I finished the antibiotics on Friday, maybe things will start to steady out.

I sure helps calm the nerves, to hear from other people.