PDA

View Full Version : Pill free week, could this be my period?

Lissy43
24-04-10, 18:15
I am on my first cycle of Loestrin 20. I started it midcycle but my period didnt arrive last week which was good but i took my last pill yesterday at 8am, today at 11:40am I started with brown discharge, and then later today a yellow/brown fluid. Could it be the withdrawel bleed/period already??

It is worrying me abit:(

Cell block H fan
24-04-10, 18:22
Should be yes, you dont have periods on the pill do you, it's called withdrawel bleed when you have the 7 day break.
Mind it's been many many years since I was on the pill (Mycrogynon) so maybe it's changed now!
x

Lissy43
24-04-10, 21:21
Yes i just wasnt expecting any bleeding as yet! Its only a day since i took the last one:((

marley
25-04-10, 03:43
If you started the pill mid-cycle, your body doesn't take as long as normal to drop down to a level of hormones low enough to induce a withdrawal bleed. It's the same type of reason why low-dose pills may cause breakthrough bleeding.

All normal.

Lissy43
25-04-10, 13:19
Thank u Marley, that makes sense. This is a low dose pill, so far id been ok on it. It's red blood today, hopefully the pill will have stopped it being too heavy this month. I'm taking it because of my heavy periods.

Lissy43
26-04-10, 12:32
Since yesterday I have had heavyish bleeding and discharge and bad period pains.

Maybe I was expecting too much but I honestly thought this month would be much lighter, I was put on the pill to help with the heaviness of my periods as it was preventing me from leaving the house for uni/work, I was gushing and filling pads everytime I stood up.

Is it likely that my periods on the pill are going to be as they are now and make very little difference? I am quite dissapointed reallyhttp://www.baby-greenhouse.co.uk/smilies/sad.gif

marley
26-04-10, 14:46
It will take time. The pill is designed not only to prevent pregnancy, but to keep hormones at a relatively constant level. You need to give it time to build up enough in your system to have an effect. This could take a few months.

Just let your body do its own thing until it finds its balance - the body is an incredibly intuitive thing. The more you try to control it, the more it will SEEM to be lacking in control. Find something else to concentrate on - a book, your family, cooking a meal you enjoy...

Lissy43
26-04-10, 15:03
Thanks Marley.

I am feeling a tad anxious really because I had a termination/d&c back in December and ever since then I worry about heavy bleeds so feel so on edge during my period. I don't know why, I have this fear maybe that I will haemorrage. It happened when I had a very heavy period back in January, now I hate periods and find it hard not to worry.

Today it is heavy everytime i stand up from sitting which is how it was before the pill, the period pains are still there too:-( Hopefully tomorrow it will be lighter, I hope so.

marley
26-04-10, 15:32
The advice still stands - I too have had a termination, and I was anxious afterwards as to how my period would be effected. After being on the pill for the past couple of years, my period has definitely settled - it's consistent now at least!

You may be the type of person who naturally bleeds a lot. That shouldn't necessarily concern you - even though I'm sure it's frustrating and inconvenient. It's been a long enough time between your termination and now for you to stop worrying about hemorrhaging - your cycle now has renewed itself, and the lining from that pregnancy would have totally been shed.

If you've been checked out, and you take care of yourself (importantly getting enough iron and vitamin c) then your bleeding should not be a concern, especially considering that your doctor is not concerned.

Lissy43
26-04-10, 15:51
Thanks.

No my GP wasn't that concerned but wanted me on the pill to reduce the bleeding abit as it had got slightly heavier since the procedure and it was alarming me.

I still have period pain today which isn't very nice:(