PDA

View Full Version : Floaters caused by virus?

Onwards & Upwards
25-04-10, 16:16
Hi boys and girls!

I've had floaters in my eyes for weeks, they were just there one day, I've had months of dizziness caused by an inner ear problem left by a virus and I was kinda thinking that maybe my eye-sight was strained because my ear was "mis-firing". I did a TINY bit of Googling and found a forum where people were talking about viruses possibly causing eye floaters.

Does anybody have experience of this or been told such a thing by a doctor? :shrug:

guitarpants
25-04-10, 19:03
Floaters can be attributed to any number of things. In short, there is no real answer to this question.

It can arise from simply a little "mis-fire" of your optic nerve (which could be caused by a virus). Or, sometimes there are little particles inside the fluid of your eye (your body filters them out in time). Sometimes people notice floaters when they turn suddenly or change position. This could just be the firing of your nerves associated with your vestibular system, or the aforementioned particles just moving through your path of sight in your eye.

You see, there is actually a ton of things that are perceived by our senses that gets filtered out by our brain as "noise". I think with anxiety a hypersensitivity occurs where we start to notice these thing where before we didn't. They've always been there. There are always dots, lines, in your vision, always a low ringing in your ears. If you pay attention to any one thing for too long, you become more aware of it.

Onwards & Upwards
25-04-10, 19:10
Yeah, I agree with everything you've said there.

They're just getting on my bloody nerves now! I'm inclined to think that my eyes are working harder as my ear is damaged i.e: my eyes are telling my brain one thing and my damaged ear is telling my brain something else hence the floaters are more visable.

But then it's possible that this nasty virus I've had has been in my eyes and made more floaters, so I don't know and I don't honestly expect to get a definite answer from any doctors because, as you have quite rightly pointed out, there are many reasons why floaters exist.

I'm so exhausted by it all though! :wacko:

icysmoooth
25-04-10, 20:04
I have a floater in my left eye and it was causing huge anxiety for me as I started noticing it after a strange headache. I had my eyes tested and mentioned the floater to the doctor she checked it out and said it was normal and sometimes it's just wear and tear pretty much. She told me it was a bit of the gel like stuff in your eye that has broken off. Hope you find some answer or peace of mind, I know how frustrating it can be.