PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia and access to medical help, how do you cope?

bluedaisy
25-04-10, 19:53
I've been housebound for about 18 months, agoraphobic for over four years, and generally don't bother contacting my GP as it's an exercise in futility:
1) Can't get to the surgery
2) Terrified of taking meds, even vitamin pills

Unfortunately I'm having health problems (of the women's problems variety) which I know can't be dismissed as 'just anxiety'. I finally plucked up the courage to speak to my GP last week and she says I really need to go to the surgery for an examination and blood tests.

She's really understanding about the agoraphobia and has said to try my best to get in to see her, even if it takes me a few weeks. But as I'm completely housebound and terrified of leaving the garden I just can't see what to do about it.

I just wondered how other housebound agoraphobics cope? I had bad dental pain a while ago and just had to put up with it, without pain killers, and it was horrible ... but leaving the house was far more horrible.

Agoraphobia is a nightmare.

sb001f8994
25-04-10, 22:10
Hi bluedaisy,
When pregnant with my daughter I was almost housebound and my doctor couldnt have been more helpful. He arranged a home birth and apart from the scan, which I didnt have, all my tests were done by very kind nurses at home. Unfortunately I developed diabetes in the last month of pregnancy so couldnt have my home birth, I was petrified! I went into hospital, all at my own pace and had a two night stay before my daughter decided to make an appearence! I actually enjoyed the stay, I couldnt believe how much my area had changed in the small time Id stayed in and on my way home I even managed to visit my mum and dad! The point Im making is that when you have to do something you find an inner strength.
Could you not have your blood tests at home? Ive found my gp to be most helpful and understanding. My practice nurse has visited me on a few occasions and always offers help, advice and has done minor tests at home.
I hope you can sort this out, take care.

teez
26-04-10, 15:17
i have been in this situation,,at my worst i never left my front door for ten years,,i didnt see a doctor,,nurse or anything,,the next time i went out was i developed a huge lump in my stomach,,the pain was hellish,,but i put up with it for two years,,i couldnt even leave my bed in the end ,,i was so ill, one day after a really bad night,,i could stand the pain no longer,,i was at the point of throwing myself under a car to escape this constant horrendus pain,,hubbys face was a picture when i asked him to get me in the car and take me to the hospital,,i was checked over by some super doctors,,who booked me in there and then,,i didnt make a fuss,,i was just to ill,,i had to have an exploratory op,,ending up have a full hysterectomy,,i had a huge 7lb cyst which had wrapped round my ovaries and bowel,,its the best thing i ever had done i can tell you,,i came out of hospital and never looked back hubby couldnt keep me in ,,lol,, after a few years of probs im having aggie probs again but no where near as bad,,you will get through it,,take one step at a time step outta your garden go back in,,sounds silly,,but every journey starts with the first step,,just increase your steps when your ok ,,take care theresa xxxx

marg
26-04-10, 22:22
hi i have panic attacks and agrophobia for nearly 5years now i go for weeks not going out then i feel a bit better and go for short walks with my husband to the top of the street i can do that for a few days then i get panicy again then i don't go out last week i was really down so i made a effort to out with my husband just for short walks like you i havn't been to the doctors for 4 years my husband had to go to the doctors a couple of months ago so he told the doctor about me he is a new doctor so he dosn't know how i am the doctor phoned me and i talk to him he asked if i could go and see him i had a appointment but when it came to going i just couldn't do it i could not get into the car i was so panicy so my husband phoned the doctor and he gave me a perscription i have so many fears now and i worry about everything i have manage to go for short walks again with my husband this week end i just have to keep trying love marg