PDA

View Full Version : Not helping for depression

Cat80
26-04-10, 11:33
Am posting for my Mum. She's been on Mirtazapine 30mg since late last year and is feeling no better. Whenever she goes to the Dr rather than tell him the truth that it's not working she just says she's getting along ok. I told her maybe she needs to dose upped or to try something else. Mum is 52 and has been suffering episodes of suddenly wanting to cry for no reason at all. Yesterday she was in town shopping and suddenly wanted to cry in a queue, the next time she was waiting for the bus home and felt like going again. Nothing at all sets her off, she just feels really low and has been like this for months and can't seem to snap out of it. She has to odd day where she is better but mainly down. How can I get her to go to the Dr's? I'm not much use as I suffer from anxiety and depression myself (I'm on no meds for this as Dr doesn't seem to think they work for me).

newbie76
26-04-10, 12:00
I am sorry about your mum.

Why don't you go to the doctor with her? This might make her feel more reassured, and also when she says she is getting along ok you could just say: "well, actually mum...".

Unless the doctor knows what is really going on with her, he won't be able to help her so her issues defnitely need to be highlighted.

Perhaps since you say you also suffer from anxiety and depression you could ask to be both referred to CBT. It would be a bit of a bonding exercise and as you'd both have to go, it would be harder to find excuses not to.

Keep us posted.

Marco.

JT69
26-04-10, 18:11
Hi i agree, If mum does not speak to the GP he will think all is o.k. I would certainly go along with her and mention it.

Its a shame that the mirtazipine is not helping, perhaps mum needs a higher dose.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

Jo.xx

ElizabethJane
26-04-10, 18:23
hi Cat I'm sorry that your mum is feeling depressed. If the mirtazapine is not working then there are other meds that might help. I am taking mirtazapine 45mg and I certainly feel much better on it. Your mum is of a similar age to me and the menopause could be contributing to her feelings of depression and tearfulness? She need not have to suffer like this. I would ask your GP to refer your mum to a psychiatrist who can properly diagnose what her problems are? If she uses the internet then you could get to take a look on here to see if we can help support her? She should not be suffering like this. I hope you both get the help and support you need soon.

Cat80
27-04-10, 11:32
Thanks so much for the replies :)

I have spoken to Mum and she is going to make another appointment, they have a long wait (about 2 weeks) at our Dr's but at least she'll be on the list. It could be the fact she has had a mirena coil for 7 years and not sure of the menopause has hit that could be causing the problems

ElizabethJane
27-04-10, 22:20
If she has a coil in place for seven years then it is definitely due for removal. They are usually only effective up to five years. I have had three and they start to be less effective after five years. In my case my excessive heavy bleeding returned. The doctors can send her for a simple blood test which will confirm whether she is menopausal or not. This might be contributing to her problems.