PDA

View Full Version : how long should you be on medication for?

basics
23-01-06, 23:55
i've been on cipralex for about 4 months

i dont really want to come off them any time soon because i feel all my problems would come back and i feel the medication is helping

if i have the choice i'd probably like to be on them for years but is this recommended

is there a maximum time doctors will normally suggest for you to be on medication

Chardonay
24-01-06, 00:14
I am not sure really on this one.
I have been on pills for my Anxiety/Ocd for nearly five years now.
I think they keep you on them until you feel you can cope with out them.

Best wishes.
Chardonnay.

Tall dark and mysterious was his name,
magic love and money was his game.

Beauty is a real thing, not just a reflection in the mirror

trac67
24-01-06, 10:11
Hi,

I was on my meds for 8 years, it is advisable to stay on them until you feel that you are able to cope without them.

Talk it through with your doctor, and tell him how you feel.

Take care

Trac Xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

nell1965
24-01-06, 11:22
Hi
The recent up todate thinking on this one is that after you feel "well" you should remain on your medications for a further 6 months then taper them off with support from your gp. However if you have had more than one episode of "anxiety/depression" then this advice varies, some say that if it is your second/third episode then you should stay on them longer up to a year or so after feeling well but as trac says that is something that you should discuss with your doctor or physician who knows you best,if youcome off them to soon research has proven that within a few months you are more likely to relapse, so consider carefully before you decide.

I just want my life back
nell
x

vernon
24-01-06, 12:05
Hi Basic Welcome to the site, I have been on Cipralex 20mg for about 8 months they helped me so much, I had tried a few before this but didn’t really get on with them, did a bit of research and asking about on here and from what I read and heard from others it seemed the best medication, so I asked my doctor if I could have it. I know one girl/lady from here been on them then came off them slowly after 12 months and didn’t have any big problems withdrawing from them, She had real bad anxiety and acrophobia and now is going to Germany to study shortly, so they really done her well. Years ago I was on an old type antidepressant called anafranil I was on these for well over 20 years; I did feel ok but was scared to stop as I think I had been on them so long. The time on meds depends from person to person usually from about a year to many many years have you have proberly read. I did try to cut down on my Cipralex a couple of months ago I cut from 20mg a day to 20 one day and 15 another to reduce slowly but felt quite a bit worst so decided to stay on them. Because of my recurring anxiety symptoms I think I will be on them for a few years yet, but who cares we take meds for headache etc and not even think twice about it, so to me I think if I feel better on them why not. Take care, Vernon