PDA

View Full Version : Prozac for Anxiety?

jellylegs
26-04-10, 13:16
Hi all, new to this site but would really like some advise, I could ring my psychologist but I'm scared i'm contacting her too much! I've had anxiety for just over 4 years, I've been off medication for over a year choosing just to try CBT and I was doing so well.

Recently had a serious set back, been feeling worse than ever! I've been off work sick for over 5 weeks now. Previously I've taken citralopram and venlefaxine, they helped at first but i think they just mask problems. My Dr gave me a prescription of citralopram to try again just to pick my mood up. Took one yesterday and the side effects were just too much for me! Nearly fainted and was in bed most of the day which isn't like me at all!

So spoke to my Dr this morning, who was quite supprised i had the bad side effects with me taking it before, but advised me to stop taking it and has done me a prescription for Prozac to go collect later. I just really don't know if I want to go down the tablet route again as it only worked for a short time before. I'm not depressed just fed up of feeling so anxious and agraphobic.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I'm terrified of side effects with tablets as my anxiety usually starts with feeling sick etc.

Gosh I hope this isn't too long and people read it!

Thanks in advance x

maxine
26-04-10, 14:01
Hi Jelly,

As you may have discovered it can be hit and miss with medication to treat anxiety, I too have tried a few over the years.

About 6 months ago I gave Prozac a try after my GP suggested it and to be honest after 8 weeks it didn't seem to do anything for me but I have to say the side effects were nothing compared to the stories I read!
The only side effects I had were a bit sick if I didn't eat before hand and feeling a bit odd for a day or two and that was it.

I'm now on day 2 of giving Citralopram another try as I really didn't give it a chance the first time around all of these meds usually take at least 8 weeks before you start feeling the benefit of them so if you can you might be better trying to persevere with the Citralopram after speaking to your GP of course.
Then again saying that I only appear to have mildish side effects of it so far! - so it may be easier said than done!

Oh I also suffer from Panic attacks and Agoraphobia have done on and off for years :-s.

Keep your chin up.

Maxine

jellylegs
26-04-10, 16:49
Thanks guys, still not sure what to do. Left a message this afternoon for my psych to give me a call just to see what she thinks. Just feel upset that I managed to get off the meds and have been for a year and it was hard work getting of the velenfaxine! I've got it in my head that I just don't want to be on medication and after my experience yesterday after one tablet I'm just too scared!

What I hate is these times when your in the grip of it, I can go for months feeling ok and getting on with things, then a panic attack happens and i'm right back to hiding myself away!

It's good to know your not alone, even though it can often feel that way! x

nomorepanic
26-04-10, 18:59
I couldn't tolerate Citaolpram either and was on it less than a week.

Prozac was good for my depression but never touched the panic attacks/anxiety. Side effects were minimal though.

Dahlia
26-04-10, 20:45
I took Prozac for about 6 months. Now I usually get all sorts of side effects with the SSRIs, but none with Prozac, except it made me a bit more sleepy, which isn't a usual side effect of it!

Good luck if you decide to try it.

Dahlia

jellylegs
27-04-10, 12:58
I'm guna give it a go, off to get my prescription soon! I'll let you know how I go! Everyone around me thinks I should try it cos my mood is very low at the min, crying a hell of a lot, hoping that taking the prozac will help lift my mood so I can get on with my CBT to help my anxiety etc! I'm just terrified of any side effects so i'm just not guna read the side effects before I take it! Thats the plan anyway!

I'm so glad I found this site! Thanks everyone xxx

JaneC
27-04-10, 14:09
Haven't had a panic attack since I got settled onto Fluoxetine :yesyes: It's like sometimes you can feel one starting (or maybe I just think "I should be panicking here") but it comes to nothing. slowly feel as if I'm getting some confidence back.

Bexmumto3
27-04-10, 18:23
Hi Jellylegs

I've been on Fluoxetine for around 5wks now & I have just had my dose increased, this is the 2nd time I have taken them.
Before trying these the first time round I tried 2 other meds both which I reacted to, I have had no side effects with Fluoxetine other than feeling a little spaced out but not enough to scare me.
I have found them really helpful in controlling my panic attacks, don't get me wrong I still get them but majority of the time I can feel a panic starting it will get so far then sort of fizzle out, they have lifted my mood in general as well.
I did find though that my panics did increase in the first few weeks whilst settling on them & I've heard this is quite normal.

jellylegs
28-04-10, 17:57
First tablet taken today! I'm super sleepy but didn't sleep very well last night! Feel a bit foggy too but that could be this weird humid weather! I'm feeling much more positive today, especially as I didn't have the awful reaction like I had to citalopram! I suppose you just have to find what works for you!

Thanks for the replies guys, all very encouraging and helping me stay focused!! I will get through this!!! We all can!! xx

jellylegs
28-04-10, 18:07
Also does anyone have any tips for nausea? Mine is constant, it's not any tablets, i think it's just an anxious trait I have but it's constant! I think I's cope better without the nausea, I'm almost phobic about being sick since I was a child. I'm trying to find things on here but not come across anything yet. I found bananna's ease it a bit! Just really need to start eating properly again but I'm just not hungry! I've lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks which may seem good to some but I'd much rather be a heavier and happy!! xxx

Bexmumto3
28-04-10, 19:32
Well done on taking your first tablet, stick with it & you will feel the benefits in a few weeks. I too had a horrible reaction to citalopram & to paroxetine, I'm so glad that I have managed to settle onto Fluoxetine, feel like I am starting to slowly get my life back.

With regards to the nausea the only things I can think of are things I tried with my morning sickness diet coke always seemed to settle my tummy for some reason & ginger (a well known anti sickness) think in any form tea,biscuits,etc

jellylegs
29-04-10, 12:53
Taken another tablet today and had quite a bad panic attack. I've heard that things can get a bit worse before they get better so keeping positive! I don't really like ginger but i'll give it a go, I've actually got some ginger capsules somewhere from a herbal shop!

I'm very tired but not sleeping properly at night! Such a pain! Is that normal for Fluoxetine? Just wana start to feel better and get back doing things! Get back to work and even just go to the supermarket! I'm just terrified of having a panic attack away from home! x

Bexmumto3
29-04-10, 16:15
I only managed to go into the supermarket yesterday for the first time in months & even then I had to have my escape route planned just in case.
I think the not sleeping is quite common as I am suffering the same at the moment too, I'm very tired but when I go to bed I just can't switch off & when I eventually do I keep waking up.
Stick with it, you are doing great x

LJL
29-04-10, 20:47
Hi Jellylegs

You sound just like I did a few months ago, I had real trouble eating, (couldn't even watch come dine with as I would heave)!!! But I still managed to eat a banana everyday, just try to eat little and often and you will be fine. I also got anti sickness tablets from the docs which I found helped me a lot, peppermint tea is good as well, I'm now addicted to it! I also lost quite a lot of weight

I am also on Flouxentine and I have to say I feel soooo much better and your appetite will come back trust me!! Like you I never wanted to go shopping or just go out at all, but I made myself, I walked everyday (wasn't gonna let it get me) I took 4 months off work and I am now back to 4 full days a week.

Honestly you will get back to your normal life back, it just doesn't happen overnight, just keep thinking I will get over this and trust me you will.

Hope it helps a little

Take Care

jellylegs
30-04-10, 16:18
Thanks guys and well done Bex for going to the supermarket! Isn't it strange how all the things that other people take for granted and just do everyday are such an achievement when you feel like this! When ever I see an abandoned shopping trolley or basket at the supermarket I wonder if it's someone like me! I'm goin for a few walks each day not too far but it makes me feel better!

Can't wait to have the tablets in my system! Actually slept a bit better last night and don't feel as sick today but have a crazy headache and neck ache! Always something!

Thanks guys and good luck x

Bexmumto3
30-04-10, 17:06
You probably got into a lovely sleep & in an awkward position for your neck & head to hurt, that always happens to me when I've not had good sleep for a while.
I find going to pick the kids up from school very difficult as I always feel that I will fall over as I go all dizzy, I end up crouching down on the floor all the time talking to the babies in their pushchairs because then at least I'm closer to the ground, just wish I was normal, what ever that is, think I have forgotten now !!

Bexmumto3
05-05-10, 08:24
Hi Jellylegs, was just wondering how you were getting on now ? xx

jellylegs
10-05-10, 09:24
Hey, Internets been down :( I'm on day 12 now of prozac! Still very tired, but not sure if thats just because I'm not doing enough!

Anxiety isn't any better, I've been trying to do more but struggling! Managed to stay at my boyfriends Saturday night for the first time in almost 2 months! It was such a struggle tho, I hardly slept and was so panicky it's really put me off trying again!

Been signed off sick by my doctor for another month! Feeling very fed up and down, It's so hard to stay positive when things are progressing so slowly or I have one bad day and it really sets me back! I've just had enough and i'm scared to death that my family and friends are guna get sick of me!

Wish I had better news xxx

JaneC
10-05-10, 10:44
stick with it jellylegs :hugs: 12 days is still very, very early days. I know how frustrating and worrying it is when it takes a while to work, and I did almost give up on it myself in the early stages, but in the end it's been worth the wait. x

jellylegs
10-05-10, 14:55
Thanks Jane x

philip
13-05-10, 19:35
Stick with it. You're doing great, your optimistic attitude makes me want to try harder. I've been on fluoxetine for about two months. I think they're great! I did have some problems to begin with though. My side effects were; Strange sleep patterns (insomnia), feeling a tad spaced, poor concentration, yawning, loss of appetite, unable to hold a conversation and worst of all I lost my taste in music. Most of those side effects are a thing of the past now and I'm moving forward. Good luck x x x x

jellylegs
17-05-10, 09:50
Day 20 on the prozac, not really feeling any different! Very tired, lack of concentration! My arms and legs feel like dead weights! YAWN! Trying to stay positive and just concentrate on getting better instead of stressing about letting people down and getting back to work!! Feel like people are getting fed up with me, like get better already!

Can i ask how long it took for your side effects to go Phillip?

anthrokid
18-05-10, 05:46
Fluoxitine does take a while to kick in, it is a slow working anti-depressant. Keep that in mind! Also with the not sleeping well, do you take it at morning or night? I have terrible concentration, but I always have I think it's more due to anxiety and my hyperactive brain rather than the medication although the meds do make it a little worse. I'm really starting to feel the effects of my fluoxetine now. It's worth it in the end! I upped my meds a couple of weeks ago and had an icky 2 weeks, but worth it now :)

jellylegs
18-05-10, 14:36
I take it in the morning, have to force some food down me to take it. Useful in a way it's making me have breakfast! I'm on 20mg is that a starting dose? How long does it normally take to feel an improvement or is it different for everyone? I want to give it a chance but getting fed up. To be honest i think my concentration has always been pretty poor anyway! lol x

sarah jayne
19-05-10, 21:02
Hi, ive just been reading your thread with interest, my doctor suggested that i start on this med but im scared incase i get horrid side effects. I tried citalopram last year and it made me really ill and then i tried cymbalta and had a horrid reaction to that. I think your really brave for trying it and hope i can work up the courage to aswell.
Sarah x

jellylegs
20-05-10, 10:15
Hi Sarah, from what I've read and people i've spoke to people seem to have less side effects with Prozac than other anti-depressants. Also what I did was give the side effects leaflet for my mum to read and told her to keep it. Sometimes I swear I read the side effects and almost bring them on myself! Good Luck with it if you decide to give it a go xxx

sarah jayne
08-06-10, 09:47
well, i picked my prescription up yesterday i am definately going to give them a go i just not sure whether to start taking them now or next month after i come back off holiday. How are you getting along on them ? x

jellylegs
14-06-10, 14:56
Hey, I'm feeling so much better! I'm less anxious and haven't had a panic attack in weeks! Just need to get back to work!! :( They do take a while to kick in but they've helped me loads!! x

JaneC
15-06-10, 00:46
Good news Jellylegs, glad they've helped x