PDA

View Full Version : Hello all...

th0ts
24-01-06, 06:12
Hi,
I'm so glad I just stumbled along this site when I was looking around some message boards. It would be nice to talk to people who understand.
I am 23 and I've had anxiety problems & panic attacks since I was 13.
My panic disorder is based solely on my breathing and it is ruining my life.
I feel in a constant state of panic and I am aware of almost every breath I take and always feel if I don't breathe for myself then my body will forget and then stop breathing or my heart will stop. It wasn't as bad before when I used to feel bad and then have a panic attack and it would be all over but now the feelings don't go away. I always feel like I'm going to stop breathing & die. When I first spoke to a doctor he said he had never heard of this type of disorder. I am currently taking paroxetine 20mg(1 per day) and it helped a little at first but i'm back to where i started now and its even worse than it used to be.
Does anybody know of someone else who has had similar problems?
I really want to get over this, I have suffered for so many years and I want my life back.
Any advice and help would be so much appreciated.
Thanks...and nice to meet you all!

Meg
24-01-06, 08:22
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=healthanxiety

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Rennie1989
24-01-06, 08:43
Hiya and welcome to the forum :D

Years ago when I had anxiety and panic attacks I used to breath heavily all the time, it was horrible! The ways I used to help with my breathing was to sit outside and take long deep breathes and try to take my mind off the breathing so I started to do it simotaniously. When it got too extreme and almost a panic attack I did the same thing but with a paper bag (or sick bag).

Hope you're feeling better today.

Scooties Back

Piglet
24-01-06, 09:06
A big welcome to the site:D

About 90% of my anxiety is mixed up with my breathing so I do know how you feel.

The best book ever about this, is Hyperventilation Syndrome by Dinah Bradley which you can get off Amazon.

If you haven't already read it then I would strongly urge you to get it - it's a nice easy read and has some good breathing exercises to practice.

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

trac67
24-01-06, 10:00
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac Xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

jackie
24-01-06, 10:31
hi

i goto a support group once a fortnight and one of the girls main problem is breathing just k like yours is.

you are not alone, and as the girls said alot of anxiety is rooted in wrong breathing

welcome youll love it here

jackie

chucklehound
24-01-06, 10:55
Hi and welcome to NMP!:D

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

th0ts
24-01-06, 14:27
Thanks a lot everyone. It really is good to know there are people out there who understand. Its so hard when you don't tell anyone, but its hard to tell people because they don't usually understand. I think its time to start really trying to get over this and be happy again.

Karen
24-01-06, 15:52
Hi

Wecome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
24-01-06, 20:04
Hi

A warm welcome aboard the forum and I hope you get some great help on here.

Nicola

bluesparkle
25-01-06, 10:45
hi
and welcome :D
it is good to know you are not alone isnt it...
you will get loads of help and advice here and nobody judges you for what you have to say ...
take care
rach