PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell when a post is serious or not???

ElizabethJane
26-04-10, 17:11
Recently there have been some threads on nmp that are a joke. They seem to start off as a serious thread but obviously they are are a joke if you take the trouble to read them. I have great difficulty deciding whether a post is a joke or is 'serious'. I dont want to offend the posters but it would be helpful to me if they made this plain at the beginning of the post. If I am having difficulty then newbies must be finding this too. I want to reply to a post but then I realise that is is a joke I feel cheated. Thanks EJ.

diane07
26-04-10, 17:15
Hi EJ,

can you pm me with the post you are referring to and i can help you out.

di xx

ElizabethJane
26-04-10, 17:44
Done thanks

nomorepanic
26-04-10, 18:52
Most of the joke ones should be in the panic/pause humour forum so you can tell from which forum the post is in.

SueBee
26-04-10, 19:28
Hi Elisabeth,

I know you reply to a lot of posts on here and from what I've seen, your advice and support come from your heart.

I'd say, if you do reply to a post only to find out later it is a joke, its no reflection on you and maybe it should be made clear that the post is in jest to begin with.

Sue xx

Going home
26-04-10, 22:50
Do you mean some threads deteriorate a bit and go from a serious question first asked into a bit of a free-for-all a few pages in, with a few members taking them over and turning them into something completely different? I suppose this can put people off answering the origional question, since the question has actually got a bit lost! :huh:

Anna xx :)

KK77
26-04-10, 22:59
I'm sorry but I don't get what the fuss is about.

Is this why my Complaints thread has been moved? My thread is a mixture of humour, jokes and serious posts too, that's why I put it in Misc. Mart Barr's cit thread has jokes in it too - maybe that should be moved as well?

I think it's petty. We can have a joke on any thread - it's not restricted to particular forums.

Going home
26-04-10, 23:13
Oh, sorry..I didn't realise there might be something specific that's happened or that there were issues going on? I was just answering as a 'generally speaking' kind of thing...:wacko:

Anna xx

ElizabethJane
27-04-10, 07:07
Yes Mel is is that. It was getting exclusive. Sometimes I just cant tell whether it is serious or not. It must be hard for the newbies as well.

Maj
27-04-10, 07:58
I've got to be honest and say that the "complaints" thread was really making me laugh and cheering me up. It was really funny at times. I don't find it offensive in the least. There have been other threads which were supposed to be serious that I have found offensive. We're just all different:shrug:
Myra x

KK77
27-04-10, 11:47
Well no one forces you to read it. There have been no newbies that have had a problem with it so far.

Exclusive? What are you on about - you joined in yourself and so can anyone else. You need to lighten up EJ. It seems that just because you had a bad day you want to take it out on others. Pffft

bottleblond
27-04-10, 12:20
Yes Mel is is that. It was getting exclusive. Sometimes I just cant tell whether it is serious or not. It must be hard for the newbies as well.

Sorry but i need put my input in here too as someone who contributes to the 'Complaints' thread on a daily basis.

Elizabeth, you only have to read the thread to see exactly what it is. It's a thread where EVERYONE is welcome to add their daily gripes serious or otherwise. Of course there is homour in there, it's there to not only add some humour to our own day but to hopefully give other members something to smile at and take there minds off there own troubles.

Lisa

Jaco45er
27-04-10, 13:00
Well no one forces you to read it. There have been no newbies that have had a problem with it so far.

Exclusive? What are you on about - you joined in yourself and so can anyone else. You need to lighten up EJ. It seems that just because you had a bad day you want to take it out on others. Pffft

She wasn't rude to you, she just put how she felt.

Learn some manners

suzy-sue
27-04-10, 13:49
Ive just started a new thread Titled" Serious complaints " This will give All members a different thread to post their daily complaints or moans .Sometimes finding a solution is better than argueing ..Sue x

KK77
27-04-10, 14:09
She wasn't rude to you, she just put how she felt.

Learn some manners

I told you before that I don't care what you think so get back on your high-horse and ride off into the sunset.

I was not rude. I told her how I felt too.

End of.

KK77
27-04-10, 14:17
Sorry but i need put my input in here too as someone who contributes to the 'Complaints' thread on a daily basis.

Elizabeth, you only have to read the thread to see exactly what it is. It's a thread where EVERYONE is welcome to add their daily gripes serious or otherwise. Of course there is homour in there, it's there to not only add some humour to our own day but to hopefully give other members something to smile at and take there minds off there own troubles.

Lisa

Thank you Lisa.

Everyone is welcome to join in the Complaints thread EJ - including yourself. Yes, a lot of the posts are spoof posts but it's just to take our mind off things. If we see that someone is upset we'll always try to be serious and help.

All you need is a sense of humour to join. I certainly didn't start it to offend or confuse people.

I hope that solves your complaint LOL.

Jaco45er
27-04-10, 14:31
I told you before that I don't care what you think so get back on your high-horse and ride off into the sunset.

I was not rude. I told her how I felt too.

End of.

Like I said, learn some manners.

KK77
27-04-10, 15:04
I see you still have that nasty Lastpost-itis tsk tsk

It has a habit of affecting cowboys apparently :wacko:

suzy-sue
27-04-10, 15:14
No Duelling allowed ...strictly prohibited .... The problem has been sorted can we please just leave it now .No need for all this again ..Not everyone likes the same things and we cant please everyone .All members concerned have had their say and said how they feel .Lets draw a line under it and get on with the day .Without this turning into another major fall out .No need for it ..Sue

KK77
27-04-10, 15:20
No Duelling allowed ...strictly prohibited .... The problem has been sorted can we please just leave it now .No need for all this again ..Not everyone likes the same things and we cant please everyone .All members concerned have had their say and said how they feel .Lets draw a line under it and get on with the day .Without this turning into another major fall out .No need for it ..Sue

Don't worry Sue, we won't descend into all that again.

I have actually taken a liking to Jaco and wish he'd complain more often on the appropriate thread ;)

suzy-sue
27-04-10, 15:29
He does have a good sense of humour.So maybe that would be a good idea .?The LAST POST Saloon is now closed for refurbishment .Time for a sing song round the campfire me thinks ? Anyone for Beans ?:ohmy: Sue x

nomorepanic
27-04-10, 19:13
Are we still going on about a stupid post that was moved :mad:

It got moved back so can people stop being so petty and childish about it all. No need for all the personal comments again either.

Ronny
28-04-10, 09:23
HAHAHAHAHA.......this is funny,the shits off me for a change,I"m ready for Round Three.....lol ......keep it up:yahoo:

NoPoet
28-04-10, 11:45
When I come to NMP these days, I'm reminded of the lyrics of a Muse song:

"And these wars, they can't be won, does anyone know or care how they begun? They just promise to go on and on and on..."

I think the basic problem that occurs is how some people see NMP as a community where they can laugh and joke with one another in order to feel better about themselves, and other people are in a very dark and lonely place and they simply want to get better and are here for straightforward advice.

Both viewpoints are completely understandable, but they are mutually exclusive. It just doesn't work when people from both groups run into one anothers' threads.

Personally I take the view that NMP is not a community; it is a support network which is intended to help people understand and combat their problems. When people start to see this place as somewhere to hang around and get into friendship groups, in my opinion they are going beyond the intentions of NMP, and that's where the trouble starts.

We should all try to focus on making sure that we are constantly moving forward with our recovery, while making sure that those around them are treated with some level of dignity; I've said this before, but what's the point of getting better if nobody else does?

I am certainly not taking sides here, I just wish that we could all concentrate on helping one another to break free of our mental and emotional difficulties, and chuck everything else down the rubbish chute.

bottleblond
28-04-10, 11:57
There was a problem but it has now been resolved. I think we should bring closure to this now and move on.

Happy days again folks
:hugs:

xxx

NoPoet
28-04-10, 12:34
You're welcome :tongue:

Ronny
28-04-10, 12:40
YIPPEE thank god for that.

nomorepanic
28-04-10, 19:58
I just felt the need to comment on this statement:

Personally I take the view that NMP is not a community; it is a support network which is intended to help people understand and combat their problems. When people start to see this place as somewhere to hang around and get into friendship groups, in my opinion they are going beyond the intentions of NMP, and that's where the trouble starts.

I disagree here and I would say that we do have a community here. The definition (amongs oher things is):

A group of people having common interests

A group viewed as forming a distinct segment of society

Similarity or identity: a community of interests.

Sharing, participation, and fellowship.

So we do have a community here as well as a support network.

The reason I defend this strongly is that the main website home page refers to the "community forum" and "communtiy chat room" amd we chose those words carefully to ensure people really felt part of NMP and it was more than just another online forum and website.

NoPoet
28-04-10, 21:05
Nic, I probably worded it wrong. What I meant was that I choose to see NMP as a support site rather than as a community, but I should have added that this is simply my own point of view.

The reasons I choose to see it this way are because I was spending more time online than I was in the real world, because I found it more comfortable to come here and talk about my problems than to get out there and deal with them face to face.

This isn't to say NMP wasn't helping me. Quite the opposite, I have had huge support here. But in my specific case I was using NMP as a safe proxy for the real world. So I decided to pull out of the community side of things on NMP to force myself to get back into the world. This was the right thing for me to do in my specific situation so I'm not saying it would be the right or wrong thing to do for other people, or that other people aren't entitled to use NMP as they wish, and I respect that you did set NMP up to be a community. :)

nomorepanic
28-04-10, 21:11
PP - thanks for clarifying things and I agree that people do also need to get out in the real world and not live a life on forums and websites and chat rooms.

For those that can't do that, however, then I would like to think that they could feel a part of NMP rather than just another member if you see what I mean.

NoPoet
28-04-10, 21:24
Yeah, definitely. I guess though, some people need to know where to drawn the line between living online and living in the real world. For me it seemed obvoius when my recovery had reached that point. Probably the same will be true for others when they reach the same point. I definitely agree with you that there are people who do not have the support in real life that they need, and for other people it's too early to go it alone. I guess things will only change when the stigma about mental and emotional problems is finally consigned to history's rubbish bin.

NoPoet
29-04-10, 22:14
I am once again having to add a disclaimer -- my comments above were NOT intended to encourage ANYONE to leave NMP. As Nic says, NMP is intended as a support community as well as a source of information.

What I actually meant was, people should only consider reducing their involvement with the NMP community if that involvement has become counter-productive, for example constant in-fighting, or finding that reading posts on the forums triggers or worsens your own condition, or finding that you are browsing the forums as an excuse not to get involved in real life.

There is no need for members to leave NMP altogether unless they genuinely feel that the time is right to "leave the nest" and make their own way in the world. In many cases this would probably be when a member's recovery has reached an advanced stage and they possess the skill, experience and emotional strength to face the world. Everyone will reach recovery at their own rate, and people should ask themselves if they are REALLY ready to go it alone before cancelling their membership of NMP.

That's my last word on the matter; if anyone else wants to leave because of something I've said or done (sorry to make it sound like this is all about me), or because of negative events on the forum, then I for one will respect your decision IF it is based on reasoning and logic!

That is all.