PDA

View Full Version : feelings of unreality - medication???

jothenurse
26-04-10, 23:24
I have had feelings of unreality on and off with the anxiety, so I know this is a common thing. I have been on Klonopin .25 mg 3 times a day and I notice that when I take the second one in particular, I get really spacey and I have the feelings of unreality more. I know that the klonopin is sedating, so maybe this is why. Does anyone else feel this way? I really need the klonopin for now so am trying to figure out how to deal with the spacey feelings and the feelings of unreality.
Does anyone else feel this way and how do you cope with this??
Please help.

suzy-sue
27-04-10, 00:04
I got this with my Citalopram .It s settled down now but I get a bit like it still in the morning when i wake up ,and before bed .I find just getting on with things is the only way to deal with it .Getting plenty of sleep helps too .its worse when ive not had enough sleep ..Sue x

jothenurse
27-04-10, 00:25
Thank you.

RichW
27-04-10, 01:05
Hi Jo

Is the Klonopin intended to be used long term? If so you may wish to consider consulting with your doctor about a more suitable long-term medication like an SSRI such as Citalopram. Due to their highly addictive nature, no benzodiazepine (Klonopin, Ativan, Xanax) should be taken for a period of more than two weeks and should be used on an as needed basis only. Like Sue, I have experienced the feeling of unreality, better known as depersonalization / derealization whilst the medication I am taking, settled into my system. Keeping yourself as distracted as possible, seems to be the best way to cope with it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Rich

jothenurse
27-04-10, 03:06
I see the MD tomorrow - I have been taking the Klonopin, at a very low dose, for a couple of weeks. Prior to that I took Ativan only as needed. I do not do well with SSRi's, hence the use of the benzodiazepine. I had a panic disorder 30 years ago, and I used Serax at that time (also a benzodiazepine) for at least a year. I worked myself through the anxiety and then tapered off the Serax. I am kind of scared of the Klonopin, but the psychiatrist said that anti-depressants are not for everyone.

RichW
27-04-10, 10:46
Hey Jo

Sounds like you're on top of things anyhow, which is great. I hope it goes well for you and if you ever do decide to try an SSRI, I'll be glad to help in any way I can. I was petrified to take them and experienced some bad side effects but 2 months later, I feel almost back to my old self again, it's a miracle. Can I get an Amen?!

Cheers

Rich