PDA

View Full Version : I dont know what to do

pollymac
24-01-06, 14:52
Hello to everyone,

Hi I dont know where to start really other than to say I've been struggling with fear/anxiety and depression for many years. I've took meds in the past all anti depressants like prozac and seroxat with mixed success. have always felt like an outsider because of this and havent delt with anything properly just masking things over for a while before realising that nothings really changed. Things have gotten real bad letely and have been getting panic attacks a lot. Donty know whether to go to my GP or not or maybe try self help, think I really could do with counselling but theres none in my area. Please tell me what you think.

Trev
24-01-06, 15:17
Welcome. There's bags of info on this site if you look around. Check out some older topics.

I found it helpful to go on some GP referred courses. From what you have said it sounds like you would benefit from some one to one stuff.

You've made a great step forward finding this place, believe me.

Cheers,
Trev :D

FRANKIEISBACK
24-01-06, 15:58
Hi, go and see your gp and look at your lifestyle, alcohol, drugs, healthy eating, self help is a good start

trac67
24-01-06, 16:21
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

It may be a good idea to talk things through wth your GP and see if he can refer you for any therapy or CBT courses, these are very good for helping with anxiety and fears.

take care

Trac XX

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

clickaway
24-01-06, 18:20
Hi Polly,

Well, by coming here you have certainly made a wise move as it will take away some of the negative feelings that make our suffering even worse.

I am surprised to hear you say that there is "no counselling" available in your area. Whereabouts do you live?

Ask your GP for a referral for assessment for therapy. Waiting times can vary from area to area so ask what the likely timescale is. Come back and post here when you know, as there may be alternatives provided by mental health charities which may help you too.

Are you aware why you suffer from anxiety - is it a deep-seated thing or did it come of the blue?

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Karen
24-01-06, 18:44
Hi Polly

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
24-01-06, 20:02
Hi Polly

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

I hope you get all the help and support you need on here so stick around ok?

Maybe the support on here and the info on the website will really help you - I hope so.

Nicola

pollymac
24-01-06, 22:28
Hello everyone, I want to say thank you to all of you who took the time to reply to my post, it really means a lot to me and I'm sitting here and feeling really choked up as I type, but dont get me wrong its in a good way, just didnt expect this response. am going to make an appointment to see my GP and am feeling quite optimistic about this.

Last time I mentioned my problems to a GP I asked for counselling. She told me it was just post natal depression and offered me antidepressents and said they didnt offer any counselling in Ayrshire where I live. I was so upset I refused the pills as I'd took ages to psyche myself up to asking for the counselling only to be told it was a no no. Its a different GP this time so maybe he can help. Will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks guys.

Meg
24-01-06, 22:52
There are community mental health teams throughout the UK and ask to be referred to them and don't take no for an answer.

Make a list of what you want to discuss with the doctor so you don't forget.

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=healthanxiety)

Common Symptoms of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms)

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

bluesparkle
25-01-06, 10:42
hello
and welcome :D
good luck with the gp please let us know how you get on... and like meg has said dont take no for an answer!
you will get loads of help and info on this site too and make some good friends along the way
take care
rach

pollymac
27-01-06, 20:38
Hello all

Thanks for all your kind replies. I realised I made it sound as though there was no counselling here when there is. I wasnt lying it was just I'd totally forgotten, my memories really bad at the best of times but when I'm panicky it terrible! I'd totally forgotten the previous time with a different doctor when I'd asked specifically for counselling but NOT with the community mental health team....reason being that I used to work with them whilst on placement and I would have been too embarrassed seeing any of them. Anyway the doctor said it was the CMHT or nothing. How wrong she was, theres a charity run one which you can self refer to not too far from here.

I went to see my GP today and have been feeling more in control. Have been looking around the site past few days and theres loads of really good info here. Anyway have found a doctor I trust and we've been looking at the overall picture. Turns out that I've had so much more on my plate past couple of months its not surprising I've been on edge. Am looking at ways to decrease my stress levels and will monitor things closely with my doc. If things go downhill will probably look at some form of medication and he says I'll get a referral to appropriate professional if I want it.
I didnt feel I was being fobbed off as was feeling a lot better anyway by just being honest with my close family and doctor. Am gonna use this site to help myself and will see my doctor in a wee while to see how I'm getting on.

Thankyou

Meg
29-01-06, 13:01
Polly,

Glad you've taken positive steps to help yourself now . Hope it all goes well.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?