PDA

View Full Version : Worried about visiting doctor

iwillgetbetter
27-04-10, 14:44
I've had social anxiety for many years now, alongside physical symptoms which seem to be related. Initially the doctors sent me for a tests to rule out anything serious and I seemed fine otherwise, so they diagnosed me with anxiety and prescribed anti-depressants. However, the pills didn't make any difference and just brought extra problems with them so after trying a few different ones I stopped. For the last 5 years I've tried to cope on my own but my illness causes so many problems I have decided to go back to the doctor's again and see if there's anything else I can try. I've forgotten a lot of the meds I was on before-will they be able to look at my records to check? (It was 7-8 years ago)
I'm nervous in general about going to the doctors anyway but especially as I'm so desperate to get some help-I'm worried they'll think I'm not that bad as I've managed so many years without any meds. Also I'm interested in CBT but don't know whether to ask about having this? The doctors at my surgery seem pretty old school so I don't know how they'll react.

LucyR
27-04-10, 15:28
Hi, yes the doctor will have your medical records to hand so will know exactly what medication you have had in the past. Don't be scared to ask about the CBT if you think it could be of some benefit to you.

Dazza
27-04-10, 15:35
Hi,

I'm also like you in that I don't like to take meds for anxiety. I very rarely take sleeping pills when I am SUPER anxious and can't sleep.

If your Drs are not familiar with CBT, then maybe there is a local MIND office near you? Failing that, I found the following CBT website very useful when I was going through my worst period of anxiety a while back: www.livinglifetothefull.com (http://www.livinglifetothefull.com)

It's free to use and is basically online CBT, teaching you how to change your negative thought patterns. You can also follow your progress and watch how your anxiety levels go down as you progress though the different modules of the website.

Good luck with it! :o) Be strong, and you will get there! :o)