PDA

View Full Version : If you take medication read this!

BabyRachel
28-04-10, 01:25
I don't want to scare anyone. I have had a rough few weeks with medication and I've learnt some valuable lessons I feel the need to share with anyone who wants to read this.

So I was previously taking lexapro 20mg and seroquel 25 mg. I had been taking lexapro for about 7 months and started seroquel three weeks ago. I also take maxalon an anti nausea drug.

I developed some serious side effects from either the seroquel or maxalon. My muscles were twitching and I had a fit. I went to A&E after speaking to a nurse who told me to do so. There I waited for hours and the doctor was very unhelpful to the point of condasending me and disregarding my anxiety. He told me to stop the maxalon and seroquel, and take benztropine IF it got worse.

Lesson 1: If you go to A&E for a problem, take someone with you who can act as your advocate. You will probably be anxious and distressed therefore it is beneficial to have someone with you who can talk to the doctors.

This doctor would not allow me to see a psychiatrist so I left and went home. The next day I went and saw a GP, who consulted with a psychiatrist. They told me to stop taking maxalon and seroquel and start a 10 day course of benztropine. They told me benztropine would help reverse the twitching.

Lesson 2: If you have a reaction to a medication and need to be taken off it immediatly, therefore not tapering it like you should - make sure you get something to help with the withdrawal. Insist upon it. This could be valium, xanax, etc.

So this GP did NOT give me anything to help. I suffered headaches, nausea, blurred vision, anxiety and low moods. They also told me to make an emegency psych appointment with my psychiatrist. The receptionists told me I could not do that, he was fully booked out. So I spoke to him over the phone and he called my regular GP with instructions.

I then couldnt see my regular GP, so I saw another one. He told me to keep taking seroquel. Even after three doctors had told me not to. Needless to say, I did not continue it.

Lesson 3: Stick with the same doctors to avoid getting contradicting information.

So I'd finished up my 10 day course of benztropine. Without making the connection, as soon as I stopped taking it I was having very bad anxiety and depression. I was honestly at my wits end. Could not handle it. Then something dawned on me, so I googled benztropine.

Turns out, benztropine also acts as a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. The same action as some antipsychotics and antidepressants. Here I was, having been taking off my seroquel, then given something that helps anxiety, then been taking off that too. My doctor failed to mention that it is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. And that coming off it is like coming off an ssri. I was obviously furious. Insane with rage.

Lesson 4: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ask your doctor to explain EVERYTHING about the medication you are taking. Don't let them leave you in the dark like they did me.

So here I am. I've started taking benztropine again, to help with my anxiety til I can see my psychiatrist next week. I am sorry this is so long, I just wanted to share with everyone what has happened and share some wisdom. :)

Lima
29-04-10, 23:51
Maxolon is well known, as are most anti-emetics, for causing a type of allergic reaction called an Oculogyric crisis. This is a muscle problem sometimes medically know as dystonia or a dystonic reaction, where you can experience muscle twitches, extremely painful muscle spasms and other problematic muscle issues. This occurs more often in younger women and smokers.

I have now had this reaction with two different anti-emetic drugs: prochlorperazine also known as Stemetil; and metoclopramide also known as Maxolon. As I have had these reactions before (as with any allergic reaction), I am more likely to react allergically to other anti-emetics of a similar type.

From my experience and research and discussions with doctors, I have been told that I would be safer with anti-histamine style anti-emetics, so I now take cyclizine. However, it is still possible for the Oculogyric crisis reaction to happen at any time, even with this medication so I have to be careful.

If I were you, I would discuss your reaction with a doctor and look at alternatives anti-emetic medications.

Lima x

NoPoet
30-04-10, 00:23
BabyRachel - that is an excellent post. I hope it gets plenty of views -- it would help a lot of people on NMP.

BabyRachel
30-04-10, 01:40
Thankyou so much Lima. I will definatly take that information to my doctor!

And thanks Poet, I'm glad you liked it. I thought it would be beneficial to a lot of people too. Its just some small but important pieces of information I wouldn't have realised before it actually happened to me.

xx

loulabella
23-05-10, 17:28
Oh hunni. You poor thing. PM if u wanna chat again. What a horrible place for you to be in. I'm losing trust in my psych's. Current one got Cit and Escit mixed up and tried to tell me in severe casescoukd take 80mg Escit!!! X x x

Ronny
24-05-10, 00:57
Hi Rachel.....Wonderfull Post,hope you are feeling a lot better:D
Rhonda xx