PDA

View Full Version : Please help

pb
28-04-10, 07:17
Sorry to keep posting . My knees are really painful today and also my right hand feels very shakey.
You will know from other posts that i have had alot of joint pain but now it just seems to be my knees. Gp said she thought i had a cartiledge problem with left knee, but both hurt and feels the same as general joint pain i had before. I just need some answers, feel that im going mad.Have another appointment with gp in a couple of weeks. I think i will ask for an xray of knees and another referral to rheumatologist.
Some of you have posted about pain conditions , but can they just affect certain joints like knees, although i do get twinges in other places.
Could it be fibromyalgia - i just don't know and cant cope..

KK77
28-04-10, 15:35
Hi again PB

Fibromyalgia is generally a whole-body syndrome but can be localised too. I generally get pain in certain areas only and there is the "shifting" type of fibromyalgia that can move from area to area. It's a complex condition that doctors themselves don't understand.

The main thing is for you not to worry that it's something serious. I understand the frustration of not getting answers but I really don't think any doctor will be able to do that if they haven't already.

It could be an injury of some sort too but as you say it's both your knees so I'd be inclined to think that it is a "phantom" pain syndrome.

When I realised that whatever I have isn't a terrible illness I was able to switch off and get on with things, and you know what, the pain became much more bearable in the process.

Please try to bear this in mind: whatever it may be, it's not life-threatening and you can get better. Meds like gabapentin may help more than conventional painkillers, and amitriptyline may be another option. Obviously if there's inflammation then anti-inflammatories will help and as I said before, I think referring you to a pain clinic would be a good idea.

I hope you feel better soon, PB.

pb
28-04-10, 17:20
Thank you for your reply , i am also beginning to think that i have some sort of pain syndrome. Its just so hard to cope and stress definetly makes it worse.
I have another appointment with my gp in a couple of weeks.