PDA

View Full Version : How much does your doctor give you?

V79
28-04-10, 11:01
I am just trying to work out if I would be better off getting one of those prepaid prescription cards rather than paying £7.20 each time.

I was given 28 citalopram tablets (currently 4 weeks worth), 56 propanol tablets (approx 3 weeks worth), 28 zopiclone tablets (2/3 weeks worth, don't think I will be allowed any more of these anyway)

So potentially I am looking at 5-6 prescriptions per month, which means it would be cheaper to get the pre paid card, but has anyone found that once they are more settled their doctor will just give them 3 months of tablets in one go?

V xx

NoPoet
28-04-10, 11:51
I'm not expert at prescriptions, but I find it hard to see that your doctor would prescribe large amounts of so many different meds. Antideps are not exactly the kind of drug people take fatal overdoses of (as far as I know) but still they are strong stuff and there's always the risk of people taking them irresponsibly.

My doctor would never in a million years prescribe more than 1 months worth of stuff. You should ask your doctor about it but I doubt most doctors would do it in most cases... then again I'm getting my prescriptions for free, so maybe it's different if you pay for them.

jaded jean
28-04-10, 13:38
Get the pre paid card it does work out cheaper. do it on your next run to the chemist and you will get refunded.
Jean

V79
28-04-10, 13:52
Hi Jean - do you mean I can get it from a pharmacy rather than online? That would be good, I was just about to fill the form out on the internet but as Ive got another prescription to pick up I would rather not wait for it to be delivered!

jchild10
28-04-10, 17:28
The differences between the US and UK health care systems are interesting. My doctor's visit last week cost me $215, and all I got was a thermometer in my mouth, a few taps on the knees, and a new prescription for citalopram (the whole point of the visit). He prescribed a 3-month supply with refills. I did bring in my old prescription bottle that showed my previous doctor had also given me a 3-month supply. Though with my previous doctor I did need to build up time, trust, and compliance before she offered to do this (and also when it became apparent that this medication was working for me, and I would be on it for quite some time). On the flip-side of an expensive visit to my gp, the cost to refill the prescription only cost $4/month or $10 for 3 months.

annette1
28-04-10, 19:03
Hi V

It does work out cheaper with a pre paid card but you do have to apply online or ring them.
My prescription for Citalopram is for two months & on repeat prescription. If you've still got a prescription to collect ask for an NHS receipt when you pay for it then you'll be able to claim the charge back when you get your card.