PDA

View Full Version : First diazepam.....help!

ems1987
28-04-10, 18:13
Hi guys,

I've had a really rough couple of days and the doctor prescribed me 2mg of diazepam. Thing is, im really scared to take it as my symptoms are dizziness/foggy head etc and am so scared that its going to make it worse?

Any suggestions please everyone!!!

gypsywomen
28-04-10, 18:16
dont worry they will relax you ,taking them for short term is ok ,, but long time there very addictive,,they wont harm you ,,we all get dizzy feelings with anxiety

margaret jones
28-04-10, 18:36
You will be fine if worried break it in half then it will only be a very low dose like Gypsy says it is addictive if taken for a long time

Take care Maggie

Danath
28-04-10, 19:03
they're great for anxiety but as previously stated they can be addictive, but the doc won't give you them long enough for that to happen.

sb001f8994
28-04-10, 19:09
Hi,
I was on diazapam for many years and they can be addictive but I came off them after slowly reducing the dose from 2mg to just a nibble! It took about four weeks before I felt ready to stop nibbling bits altogether. First starting them I was like you too, scared to take them so I started how I finished just taking nibbles then building up to 2mg, I never took more than that. I didnt feel high as a kite on them or drunk but just sort of nice! I would advise you to take a bit of one and see how you go, our imagination is a very powerful thing and we can talk ourselves into side effects...well I do, I cant even take vitamins without feeling something odd about them!!!
Take care,

Bexmumto3
28-04-10, 19:25
I only tried them a couple of times, I was given them by the hospital to relax me after I had a reaction to Paroxetine. I felt like I was very drunk & I couldn't walk without holding onto things, not sure if it just me & how I react to meds though as I've not done well with many that I have taken plus I was given a higher mg than you.
Maybe half the tablets you have to start off with?
Oh & I suffer with the dizziness majority of the time, it's a horrible part of anxiety.

shorty1969
28-04-10, 19:41
Carol is rite ! We can talk our selves into symptoms of taking medication , Ive bein taking diazepam now for about nine years , 5mg at the start now 2mg . They are great for helping calm you down and relax you , but are a bit addictive , i carry them every wher with me like a wee safety blanket :D 2mg is a very very low dose . think we make the mistake of reading about the drugs and there side effects and sit there waiting for one of the side effects to hit us ..

ems1987
28-04-10, 21:32
hi guys, im not sure the diazepam has had much affect on me as i was so so wound up and scared to take it in the first place. i now feel like i cant breathe, short of breath and am convinced it is the diazepam. im so so scared and dont know what to do, please help!!!

Jannie2948
28-04-10, 21:58
Hi there, 2mg of diazepam is very low. My Dr gave me this when I was first put on Citalopram and I just had to take them as and when I needed.I found them very helpful and as others have said they can become addictive but 2mg is so low. I haven't had them now for some time because the Citalopram have made me feel so much better. But don't be scared, they really do just take the edge off of your anxiety and help you relax. Your breathing is probably because you are anxious, I know it is easy to say, but just try to relax and take long slow breaths in through the nose and slowly out through the mouth. Make sure you get the breath into your belly and not just the top part of your chest. Look on youtube and there are some helpful breathing exercise.

There are lots of people on here that will help you, but I am sure you will be fine on the diazepam.

Jannie x x

shorty1969
28-04-10, 23:29
You probably had it in your head that something bad would happen if you took one of the tablets ! well your anxiety is telling you something will happen more like :ohmy:..I know its not easy but you gota relax and stop fighting any sensations you are having from the anxiety ,, Let the medication help you ! chill out !!! YOU WILL NOT STOP BREATHING ,PASS OUT ,DIE ,LOOSE CONTROL ,OR GROW HORNS FROM TAKING 2mg of diazepam lol :winks: And stop reading the wee leaflets inside medicine packs telling you what might happen if you take this med !!! Doesnt do us anx sufferers any good

sarah jayne
02-05-10, 09:31
Like you im always scared of starting new meds as i always have bad reactions, im starting to wonder if i bring them on myself by reading the leaflets and knowing what could happen because its weird that before i had anxiety i never had any reactions to meds but now i always do lol. Im on 5mg of diazapam to take as and when i need it. I think its really good it helps me become very relaxed and as its also a muscle relaxen it helps when my back seizes up.
Sarah x

Danath
06-05-10, 22:22
ive never had a bad reaction off it, you just have to be careful as its addictive

Miss Manic Panic
08-05-10, 21:27
I take Valium and have found them incredibly helpful with no side effects ( besides the odd bit of drowsiness). 2mg of Diazepam is a very low dosage ( I knbow this because I used to be on about 30 mg a day- 6 x 5 mg tablets) and even that dose didnt adversely effect me so you will be fine. Take the medication but remember it gets rid of the anxiety symptoms but is not a cure. CBT therpay is a good option for anxiety.

Feel better x

Temenos
08-05-10, 22:08
Hi there, I have been taking Diazepam 2mg on an "as and when" basis for the last month. I find that rather than making me feel "spaced out" or "over relaxed" they have actually made me feel more alert and more like myself. I understand that they can only be used in the short term and I did have aprehensions about taking them after reading they can become addictive but I now feel educated enough to use them and confident that they can be benefitial for my anxiety and can be used responsibly.

AnniePlacebo
12-06-10, 06:50
Don't worry, they're not actually that bad.
i was super afraid of them too, and convinced myself I was going to freak out, which
I did because I do a fine job of convincing myself of things, but then after the initial freak out, i found myself much calmer.
It'll give you a little break.
I have only been taking quarters of them when i feel anxious, and I find that is enough to help.
But yeah, you'll hardly notice it, I swear

Panic Man
04-07-10, 14:29
ems1987, If it doesnt feel right to you then please stop taking it.