PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Kalin
24-01-06, 22:20
Hello all.

My name is Allegra, but you can call me Kalin, I don't mind ;). I'm nineteen years old and am currently a psychology major in the midwest U.S. I'm halfway done with my sophomore year.

I've been having trouble with extreme mood swings and what I call depressive episodes for years now, starting in junior high/early high school. I started self-harming when I was 14 and am very slowly recovering. Only in the last month have I actually gotten any professional help or any kind of diagnosis. I am seeing a counselor through my university and he has tentatively diagnosed me with Bipolar II, though he said he doesn't want to stick me in a box or label me since it probably wouldn't help much.

I had my first full blown, intense panic attack two days ago. It lasted for more than an hour (I'm not sure) and I ended up going home and not being able to attend class. Right now I am having trouble sleeping despite being exhausted, I have suddenly developed a fear of being around people and of overeating, and I am afraid I'm going to have another attack and be unable to finish this semester. I'm hoping I can find some help and support here. It was terrifying and embarassing. I think I'll fit in okay here, though, and hopefully I'll be able to help out.

trac67
24-01-06, 23:06
Hi Allegra,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

clickaway
24-01-06, 23:25
Hi Allegra,

Glad you found us here where hopefully you get some good advice, support and friendship.

I'm glad you are acting up on this and seeing a counsellor etc.

Please make sure you address the eating thing with some psychological help before it takes hold.

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Meg
24-01-06, 23:27
Welcome Allegra

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=healthanxiety)

Common Symptoms of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms)

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Kalin
25-01-06, 02:15
I should have mentioned my fear of eating is not related to fears about weight. In fact, I would like to gain weight, since I'm slightly underweight and always have been. Something that causes me great anxiety is vomiting, or even feeling nauseated. I'm afraid of eating too much and getting sick (I had the stomach flu a week ago and am still quite paranoid it will happen again).

Karen
25-01-06, 07:52
Hi Allegra

Welcome to the forum. You'll find some good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

chucklehound
25-01-06, 08:50
Hi Allegra and welcome to the forum!:D

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

bluesparkle
25-01-06, 10:39
hi allegra
and welcome :D
you will find lots of help and advice here... and you wont feel so alone
take care
rach

sueiamnew
25-01-06, 17:42
Hi and welcome to the site Allegra.

seh1980
25-01-06, 17:55
Welcome aboard Allegra :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

hunny_as
26-01-06, 09:23
hi the other are right you will get lots of suppourt on here i know i did, and it has help me so much.

amanda x feel free to pm !