PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rid of the cat wee / pee smell?

SHYGIRLAJB
28-04-10, 22:46
Hi Everyone.

Basically, we have a problem at a house we are trying to sell, the conservatory area, stinks of cat wee. We have disinfected it, put air freshners in the room etc etc. We just can't seem to get rid of the cat pee/wee smell. Can anyone suggest anything to get rid of the horrible smell ??. It doesnt really help that the house is like over 120 miles away from us.

Many Thanks

xx

nomorepanic
28-04-10, 22:59
We had a drastic solution to ours cos the local strays used it as a bedroom and a loo lol

We knocked the conservatory down - it stunk of cat wee :roflmao:

Going home
28-04-10, 23:06
My daughter has two female cats, both neutered a long time ago but it doesn't stop the local toms from spraying up their front door sometimes and the smell is awful. She uses disinfectant and scrubs it, but it takes ages for the smell to go, so i'll be reading this thread with interest to see if anyone can recomend anything that really works!

Anna :)

diane07
28-04-10, 23:12
Is there somewhere in the conservatory that can be painted, paint fumes are stronger.

di xx

SHYGIRLAJB
28-04-10, 23:25
Thanks for your replies, erm not sure really don't think so, cos its all like upv double glazed from floor to ceiling of the room, glass patio door, into the room. erm the flooring is tiles, so emmm not sure. There again the back wall inside the conservatory is brick but it is a long wall, and perhaps takes a long time to do. That would be our last option I guess. hmmmm.

Its really hard when you live so far away, cos you otherwise we would open the windows and things before someone came round to visit and spray things and try and disguise the smell. That is why I raised the question I guess if anyone knew a solution in their opinion of what to do.

Thanks again for replying.

. xx

nomorepanic
28-04-10, 23:39
googled

http://www.cat-urine.net/

nomorepanic
28-04-10, 23:40
google - cat wee smell removal - loads of advice on there

SHYGIRLAJB
29-04-10, 00:50
Thanks hun, will have to have a look a bit later, xx

Bexmumto3
29-04-10, 16:23
I would normally advise biological washing powder as this will normally get rid of the smell where as most other things just mask the smell for a time & then it hits you again, not sure how well it will work on tiles & plastic as I normally advise on materials, carpets, etc but it's always worth a try.
Put some citrus things around the outside as well, cats don't normally like anything citrus so that will hopefully deter them from coming to the area & spraying.
Good luck.

magpie girl
30-04-10, 13:58
to get rid of any unwanted smell in a room is believe it or not SURGICAL SPIRIT . costs about 90p at the chemisit .It removes any scented areas that could of been left over the years like were a dog has peed and u have cleaned it but the scent will always remain . They used to use it to clean kennels as it also stops animals re scenting there :D:D:D:D

mary3
30-04-10, 14:10
We had a problem with our dog weeing in the kitchen. We bought this product called 'urine gone' from some shopping channel and it really worked although is a little expensive (£30 for a time), when that ran out we read that white vinegar neutralises the smell and that also works too!

ammiemum
31-07-10, 21:46
bicarbonate of soda is supposed to work use it like the 'shake and vac'? and or bio washing powder is used by friend with five dogs!!

MarlaJ
01-08-10, 02:30
I had a problem with stray cats too - I kept washing with vinegar and the smell eventually went away. Good luck, that is a nasty smell!!

LyndaB
20-12-10, 14:22
It is difficult to get rid of, I remember our vet telling us it takes so many weeks to disappear, I can't remember how many. However there are remedies, go to a good hardware shop and ask their advice. (I am saying that, not knowing you, hoping you can and do go out occasionally)

This is a problem we have had. We took in a Persian cat, a neighbour was moving away and wanted to rehome her. She was ten years old, absolutely delightful but the cat litter had to be cleared after every use or she wouldn't use it. She did go out in our garden and enjoyed that but she had been used to cat litter - and was very fastidious. We had other cats who decided that they, too, would like to use the cat litter. We had litter trays all over the house but sometimes she would just wee on the floor. Anyway, after a year she was unwell, we took her to the vet and a kidney tumour was found (not unusual in pedigree Persians apparently). She had treatment and was OK for a few weeks but then went right downhill, poor little thing, so she had her last trip to the vet.

In the meantime, our oldest cat had become a bit, well, elderly in the wee wee department. He uses the cat litter but sometimes he forgets and just wees. It is dreadful. We do the best we can. We have bought stuff that gets rid of the smell, or almost. I can't remember offhand what it is called - I'll have a look - but there are many different things you can try.

Apparently, cutting up lemons and leaving them in little dishes around the place deters cats from weeing on the carpet and there are cat litters which have an attractive smell to cats.

What is hard is when a stray comes in, particularly a Tom. We had one of those two or three years ago, a very youthful Tom cat, beautiful looking, but every day he came in through our cat flap and sprayed everywhere. He also ate our cats' food. I used to chase him out and also tried to find his owners but had no success. I would come downstairs in the morning and he would be asleep on the sofa. He was cheeky, we nicknamed him ASBO. Anyway he injured his leg and came in one day limping and bleeding so.....what could we do? We adopted him, had his leg fixed, neutered, and he is now a huge cat. Really adorable. He is fine about going out in the garden but he still has some Tom cat ways, especially in the summer, he does a bit of spraying, goes out on the prowl and gets in fights. He is beautiful though, a lovely, affectionate big boy. His name is Thomas!

Good luck!

PS: I started typing this early this morning, then went out before completing the post, so you may have already got some good advice. Sorry if I am repeating what others have said.

LucyR
20-12-10, 15:17
Hi, I had this problem with my burmese tom cat too. However, after disinfecting, taking out the carpet tiles, more disinfecting and a total re do of the room oh and the most important thing, neutering my cat, the room in now fine!