PDA

View Full Version : Face spasms

Kaz
24-07-03, 15:14
When my attacks are particularly bad, the right side of my mouth goes into spasm and seems to pull back hard towards my jawline and I lose the ability to speak. I have constant tingling in my lips and a feeling of them being swollen but as the spasm starts, I start to stammer before losing the ability to talk altogether. When I feel anxious, I can feel the right side of my mouth and face really tingling. The doctor isn't sure why this is happening and when it happened in front of a neighbour he just commented that it looked like I was having a stroke which wasn't really helpful as you can imagine as I was already thinking that myself!

love'n'stuff
Karen

jenniss
28-07-03, 12:30
Hi i imagin if your situation was because of a stroke your doctor would of told you!

Differnt people have differnt spasms when feeling panicky! for example when i have a bad attack my thumb goes really stiff and starts to bend between my middle finger and my finger next to my little finger, my doctor has subscribed me diazepam which relaxes the muscles and it does the trick to stop my thumb going out of control!

If you have spasms when you have a panic attack or a anxiety attack its more than likely that this is what is causing your spasm not a stroke!

I hope i helped! x:)

Kaz
28-07-03, 15:00
Of course, when I'm calm, I know it isn't a stroke but at the time it's happening there are all sorts going through my head. Staying upright is usually the biggest priority. I find that instead of hyper-ventilating, I catch myself holding my breath and I have to suddenly take a deep breath in. Thanks for your kind words.

love'n'stuff
Karen

jenniss
28-07-03, 22:20
Hi again. yeah i know what u mean, thats how i started to fear having a panic attack because i thought i would stop breathing have you tried the technique breathing from the diaphram? there is a section on this website somewhere i find it is helpful to me because
it gives me something differnt to concentrate on.

what do you fear most when having a panic attack?

Kaz
29-07-03, 10:43
I do try and breathe deeply using the techniques learnt at Yoga. I feel and see my heart beating so hard in my chest but occasionally it will miss a beat and in that split second I'm convinced it won't start again. I've studied anatomy and physiology - i know that that is impossible, or at least if it were to happen I'd be in a helluva lotta pain first but for that fleeting moment I'm convinced I'm gonna die. The fear that that moment brings starts off a chain reaction, I start to feel faint, my whole face including my tongue starts tingling and I just feel so ill and shaky, I have to sit down with my eyes shut and focus on calming myself down. I think that what is so annoying is the fact that I can feel quite happy and focused on something completely different then suddenly my heart starts beating hard and fast, as if I've run a marathon, for no reason whatsoever.

How 'bout you.

love'n'stuff
Karen

Steph
31-07-03, 12:44
Kaz..........
I know exactly where your coming from when you say about being really happy and focused and then the next minute your getting those symptoms, this is exactly what happens to me, and yeah when your calm u know that you are not gonna die when you have your next PA but when it actually hits you its hard to (well it is for me) not to think that for a second or two.
I am new to all this as I have only thank god had 3 PA's - but thought I was gonna get another one at work the other day but it didn't happen - maybe coz I was subconsciously saying to myself this will not happen here!!
I am at the moment waiting for an appointment with a counsellor but have been waiting for about 2 weeks now.
How long have you been affected by PA's??
I will try your technique of sitting down and closing my eye - but do you not feel faint when you do that?

Stephx[:X]

smudga
01-08-03, 07:01
Instead of just closing your eyes perhaps u could try a relaxing technique I read in that you close you eyes and draw letters and numbers by rolling your eyeballs in the direction as u would write the letters/numbers. Do it for just a couple of minutes as I read u aint supposed to do it for to long. Ciao!

bishop
17-08-03, 20:50
i totally agree with smudga, try to relax,i know this is hard,some times taking deep breaths,put some music on,soft music,their is some great relaxing music in the shops at the moment.
bish

Elizabeth
21-08-03, 16:27
Does anyone have muscle spasms particularly in their legs? I have been doing really well, I even went on holiday, but since i have been back at work I have been having these spasms, when I realise that i haven't had one for a while then they start again, any tips on how to deal with this, is it normal for anxiety sufferers? I haven't lost any strength in my limbs or hands so my gp isn't too worried right now if they persist he will take it further, which has made me worry even more that they won't go away.
help

Steph
22-08-03, 12:48
Hi ya
Yeah I have muscle spasms in my legs - but it only tends to be when Im in bed drifting off to sleep...R these the same sort of spasms your on about Elizabeth?

SD

Elizabeth
22-08-03, 17:21
Thanks for you reply,
yes it does sound similar, but sometimes it's also threw the day. It is eased by walking or moving around but I have had them on and off throughout the day for two weeks now.

buyadegara
23-03-15, 09:03
thanks for info
http://freepics.science/22/smile.gif