PDA

View Full Version : good read links physical and emotional

Hears The Water
17-02-04, 06:34
I wasn't sure where to put this as it touches on panic attacks, anxiety as well as the myriad of physical symptoms that accompany anxiety. I welcome any and all input you might have on it. In all honesty I have not read it all since I have no printer right now and I cannot read long articles on the computer (turns my brain to oatmeal :D) Here is the link. http://www.mhsanctuary.com/articles/emotmem.htm

God bless you and yours
Debbie

nomorepanic
17-02-04, 14:41
Thanks Debbie,

I will take a look at it and see if there is anything useful for here or the website. I can also add a link to it from the site.

Nicola

nomorepanic
17-02-04, 14:43
Debbie

I have moved it to the LINKS topic so people can find it more easily.

Nicola

nomorepanic
17-02-04, 16:58
Debbie

I have been reading it - just the first page and it is really fascinating so I hope you all get time to read it.

It explains how the brain works etc. Did you know, for example, that you only retain a memory for 5 days and then your brain decides whether to store the memory away in a "file" or forget it completely. The thoughts are only stored if they had some significance to you. I have highlighted the words in red that I took directly from the website - the rest is my synopsis of it all.

Look at this excerpt too .....

"Another common way that emotions pull files is in the case of a panic attack. When an individual suffers a panic attack, a powerful brain chemical is released in the frontal area of the brain which creates the panic attack. After an attack however, we have clearly made a bad file - our brain remembers the attack and the feelings. Months later, we may be in a crowded store or in an emotionally tense situation when the brain recognizes that emotion - it's seen it before during the panic attack. At that point, the brain immediately pulls the "panic attack" file. If we allow the file to stay out or pay attention to it, we are quite likely to have another panic attack - that's what's in the file."

Here a couple more for those who can't find time to read it all ..

"Clients that are depressed are encouraged not to pay attention to the various files being pulled. Again, when a depressed brain operates on automatic, it pulls nothing but garbage/trash. If you are depressed, be prepared to experience a tremendous amount of "mental garbage." Please, take no action on that garbage."

and

"Anxiety can be paired with certain events, creating a very strong file that contains both the anxious event (public speaking, air flights, etc,) and the physical reaction as well. When the situation is recognized by the brain - the anxious/trauma file is pulled - and the brain chemicals are released. It's easy to see why files with anxiety are so powerful - they seem to light up the entire body system from head to toe!"

You can understand why we panic in certain situations if you think of how the brain works - it sees a situation and thinks "oh I have been here before, let me remember what happened last time". If at the time we had a panic attack then the "file" is pulled from the memory and the brain thinks "oh look what happened then, it may happen again"

Take a look at the section headed "Techniques for File Control" on the first page.

One final quote from the site ...

"Remember that humor is the best way to contaminate a file. If a bad file is out, find everything about the memory that is silly, humorous, or comical. If nothing is - invent something funny about that experience. Rehearse how things might have happened different, in a funnier manner, than we remember."

I hope I have given you a brief insight to the website and not bored you too much ;) I just found it very interesting to read.

Nicola

benoo5
17-02-04, 17:09
thanks debbie,

just finished reading it (40) mins..found it very interesting,has given me food for thought.

best wishes..bryan.

nomorepanic
23-02-04, 01:20
Ok so I may be mad but this I can relate to this - lol

Yesterday I was not feeling too good - hangover - self-induced so my own fault so I don't want sympathy - lol.

Anyway, we had to drive down the bit of the A1 that I hate and I was getting panicky. So, I immediately brought back the "bad file" and remembered the panic. Then I remembered the "good file" - the one when I did it ok and I replaced it with that and it worked!!

I know that many people think I am mad cos of the few posts on here but it worked for me and I can relate to this in some way and it helps me so that has to be good!!

Well just thought I would let u all know.

Nicola

sarah
23-02-04, 02:14
Hey Nic

As a fully fledged member of the panic brigade im of the opinion 'whatever works for you'!!!

You want to hear some of the things that I run through in my head to make me do stuff (or actually I dont think you do...lol)

Anyway, well done mate, I know how much u love that motorway so good on ya!!!

love Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
23-02-04, 15:00
Cheers Sarah

Like you say it doesn't matter how mad it is or how weird but if it works then don't knock it!!

I will go back to my padded cell now and the nice warm white coat they have for me ;)[:p][8)]

Nicola

Wannabeloved85
30-08-06, 11:47
i thought it put this thread back up as its the first time ive read it and sounds very interesting.
Becci x

lucy0927
16-07-07, 16:21
I've just read this and found it so helpful. It's so easy to understand and relate to what the author has written. I suffer with a lot of negative thoughts at the moment and I'm going to put into practice the tips offered in this article.

I urge people to read it - it's quite long but definitely worth it.:)

Piglet
16-07-07, 16:36
One final quote from the site ...

"Remember that humor is the best way to contaminate a file. If a bad file is out, find everything about the memory that is silly, humorous, or comical. If nothing is - invent something funny about that experience. Rehearse how things might have happened different, in a funnier manner, than we remember."

How very very interesting that all was - isn't it easy to relate to it when it's put like that.

In a way the above suggestion is like Paul Mckenna - he says 'remember a scary situation and then in your head take all the colour out of it ie: turn it in to black and white, make it recede into the distance and take all the sound out of it.

With scary situations step out of the image in your head and look at it as an outsider would - with happy situations that you want to enjoy step into the image and be involved. Disassociation and association!!!

Lets all make new files!!!:yesyes:

Love Piglet :flowers: