PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and to panic attacks

MissyM
30-04-10, 12:33
Hello,

I'm new here. I found this site while looking for information on anxiety disorders and panic attacks.

I have recently been suffering from severe anxiety. To give you a little background on me: I have health anxiety and had a mole biopsied yesterday because I felt panicked about it and I'm terrified that I have melanoma. I made the mistake of Googling about the biopsy after the procedure and now I'm afraid that the doctor did the wrong kind of biopsy. I'm also scared because I've had a swollen lymph node for a few months (it swelled up when I was sick and hasn’t gone back down). I asked the doctor about it and she said that I should go to an Ear Nose and Throat doctor and have it biopsied. Not what I wanted to hear! I have no health insurance and little income, which just adds to my health anxiety because I don’t know how I’ll pay for my medical care if I need to (I live in the US).

I completely freaked out yesterday and last night, not long after I went to sleep, I had what I think was my first real, full-blown panic attack. I woke up feeling nauseous and started trembling all over my body. This happened again in the night a few hours later and then again this morning. Is it normal to have three attacks in such a short amount of time?

I think I need professional help because I don’t feel like I can handle this on my own. I read a lot of threads on this board last night when I couldn’t sleep and it did make me feel a little better just to know I’m not alone. But I wonder how you guys stand going through this on a regular basis? I've always been a worrier but I've never felt as horrible as I did last night and I'm afraid that the attacks will continue and/or worsen. The general anxiety I was experiencing prior to going to the doctor was bad enough but the panic attacks are a nightmare.

Sorry for the long post! I guess I’m just looking to get some of this off my chest to people who understand what I’m going through. Thanks for listening and in advance for any words of encouragement!

Dazza
30-04-10, 13:58
Hi,

Welcome to NMP! :)

Sorry to hear that you've started to experience panic attacks. They are terrifying, not least at the begining (I was so convinved I was going to die that I dialled '999' for an ambulance).

You asked whether it's normal to have 3 in a day. Well, at my worst I probably had about 6 a day. When they happen, you will need to learn to deal with them, normally through mental mantras, and breathing techniques. You will find plenty of advice about it here and online. :o)

Glad you reached out to this forum for help.

MissyM
30-04-10, 14:19
Thank you for taking the time to respond! I've already found a lot of useful information from reading through the forums. I'm sorry you've had to experience 6 attacks in a day. I feel completely exhausted from having 3!