PDA

View Full Version : Feeling down, and rubbish!

bubblestar
26-01-06, 12:25
Hi guys

this post is pretty pointless but i just felt like a rant cos im feeling under the weather and iv had a rotten cold all week!

my symptoms come and go, i can for weeks were i feel ok or on top of things then i get a rough patch and it takes me ages to recover. Since a week before christmas things have been rough, and i just cant pick myself up properly. my anxiety is heightened and i feel ill daily, the usual anxiety symptoms of dizzy stomach pain,nausea etc..

my original anxiety is health anxiety.. i panic from getin the slightess twinge in my stomach cos i think its gonna make me sick, i suffer with emetaphobia, so feeling ill all this time is just making me worse. iv had cold after cold, and ibs is playing up, but im sure that all a vicious circle.. i just want to feel well!

i just wish i had the confidence and nerve to be able to just take myself away for a weekend to get away.. but i struggle some days to just go into town. need a proper pepping up! but not sure how!

N xx

SB
26-01-06, 18:41
First off there is no such thing as a pointless post! Your health anxiety sounds very similar to what I used to have. It is the way you think about your symptoms that make them worse and keep them coming back. Here is a copy of one of my very first posts on this site from last May:
Okay I admit I came upon my solution purely by accident but I encourage others to give it a try. I was in a program for anxiety, panic and depression based on cbt and not only has it helped me with those problems it also had the unexpected benefit of eliminating a majority of my health worries. I used to rush to the doctor at the first sign of trouble and now I am able to let things go and they usually go away on their own and I never end up going to the doctor. I used to worry about everything but now I am able to counter my thoughts in a tea form whenever I get all worked up about my health and it calms me down and the symptoms almost always subside.

I am more convinced than ever that cbt is the way to go for most anxieties and I am still doing my tea forms daily. I hope you will consider giving cbt a try.

bubblestar
27-01-06, 10:56
i have had some cbt in the past but it wasnt efficent enough to work.. not enough funding meant my seessions were 3/4 weekly beofre i could see her again so i didnt get enough out of it.
whats tea form?!

N x

SB
01-02-06, 01:53
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">i have had some cbt in the past but it wasnt efficent enough to work.. not enough funding meant my seessions were 3/4 weekly beofre i could see her again so i didnt get enough out of it.
whats tea form?!

N x

<div align="right">Originally posted by bubblestar - 27 January 2006 : 10:56:18</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

That's too bad as cbt really works well in my experience if you work at it. There are lots of good books on cbt which can help you learn to help yourself with it. The one we used in my group Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz was good and I liked how it was written by a former sufferer of anxiety and depression because that it made easier for me to identify with it.
The tea form is the main exercise in cbt where you write down your Thoughts then identify your thinking Errors in the thought and then Analyze them with more objective reasoning. They have worked wonders for me.