PDA

View Full Version : Temporal lobe epilepsy = anxiety/panic disorder?

guitarpants
01-05-10, 05:54
My neurologist is trying to sort out what my symptoms mean still. He suspects the possibility of temporal lobe epilepsy and wants me to try tegretol for a week to see if they improve at all. Prior to this I was diagnosed with GAD. Now, I'm finding that both have nearly identical symptoms and are nearly indistinguishable from each other. I'm talking head pressure/fullness/heaviness, balance problems, alice in wonderland syndrome, heart palpitations, adrenaline releases, feelings of panic/fear for no reason, the works.

Anyone have any experience with this that may be able to comment?

I've had no mental health or neurological problems in my life up until a few months ago. My EEG didn't show any abnormalities nor did any of my MRI's.

KK77
01-05-10, 20:30
I've had strange seizure-like episodes at the height of my anxiety. I had lots of tests done and they came back inconclusive/negative.

I take pregabalin (Lyrica) which is an anticonvulsant that is also licensed for GAD (though not in the States I hear) and neuropathic pain. It is related to gabapentin which may help you if Tegretol proves no good.

guitarpants
01-05-10, 20:42
Honestly I think there may be some overlap. You can have mild seizures without having epilepsy. They don't have to be permanently recurring. I think this might explain a lot of strange experiences that occur alongside anxiety.

KK77
01-05-10, 21:01
I agree that there is definitely a link between mild/partial seizures and anxiety conditions. Think of SSRI withdrawal "brain zaps" - which are seizure-like - that are related to sudden fluctuations of serotonin and there's a link. There are also people that have had brain zaps that haven't even been on SSRIs.

PanchoGoz
03-05-10, 20:43
Why is it that when I search a symptom on this forum, it comes up with you every time?!
Ninja dude, we seem to have the same symptoms - Generalized anxiety and panic, AIWS, palps, head things. I think I'm going to have to see a neurologist now! If you find a cause for your non-anxiety symptoms, do let me know because I could have the same thing.

sharona
03-05-10, 20:57
Hi

I suffer with head zaps/electric shock type pains in my ears and head and i get head pressure. I am not on any SSRI's.

I have researched them and asked my doctor who does not know what they are!!!!

They are horrendous, I have them every day:weep:

Sharona

Danath
07-05-10, 13:24
my doctor swears that pregabalin and gabapentin are almost exactly the same, he says pregabalin is a marketing scam by the the drug companies to make more money off gabapentin. I've looked around on the web and theres certainly a lot of evidence supporting what my doctor is saying.