PDA

View Full Version : Beta Blockers

music
01-05-10, 13:29
Hi

This is my first time on a forum! I have been suffering with panic attacks and have been taking beta blockers to reduce the sensation of a pounding heart, as this tends to trigger my attacks. I am having to come off the tablets as I am thinking of starting a family.

I have weaned down from 30mg of propranolol per day and I am now not taking any tablets, but I am finding it a real rollercoaster. Any little hint of adrenaline and it is sending my body into overdrive!

I just wondered if anyone else has come off beta blockers and had a similar experience, and if so, how long will it last?

I am determined to beat this!

Thank you for your support

jothenurse
01-05-10, 13:44
Hi - I am presently on a beta-blocker (metoprolol 15 mg extended release). I was up to 50 mg at one time, but with the benzo I was taking also, my pulse and blood pressure was getting kind of low.
I felt the difference right away when the dosage was lowered - I could feel my heart pounding some. They originally had discontinued it, and then just put me on the small amount of it. I am taking ativan .25 mg about twice a day and I think that has helped some with the palpitations. But when I am anxious and sometimes when I don't feel anxious, I can feel my heart pounding. I am still very much nervous still though. For you, if your anxiety is better, if you don't focus in on the feeling of your heart pounding, it'll go away sooner.

music
01-05-10, 13:48
Thank you for replying. I have done really well today so far and have ignored my pounding heart and told myself it is a natural reaction to my negative thoughts and that I am just noticing it more cos I am off the tablets!!

Everyday I am trying to face a challenge and overcome it without taking a beta blocker!