PDA

View Full Version : My son has me worried...!!!!!

daz247
02-05-10, 03:43
Hi all, I suffer with social anxiety had it for most of my life, hasnt been easy, but doing pretty well up to now, even though the past 14 months have been a nightmare, to say the least, split with partner after 16 years, cus i had anxiety, didnt understand it ,at all, no support, long story...!!! Was in car crash, not my fault, was laid off work, last oct, oh yeah and ive had to move back home..Till get sorted, My ex is now engaged after 6 months, and expecting twins, and is now rubbing it in my face...!!! But you know what, im still here, (NOT gonna grind me down...)
I can cope with all that, just about, but wat im struggling with is my son who is 11, i have a daughter who is 8 also, she is very outgoing, my son is very sensitive, and the opposite, and lately he is worrying about everything, and i dont know why that is, hes been going through this worrying about dying phase, black death was mentioned at school history lesson, he thought had it, if he has a bruise on his leg, he'll worry about it, get himself into a right state, all the signs are are their for anxiety/panic etc.. I try and reassure him, that everything is ok, in kids terms, but it is not working... should i go and take him to see someone, before it gets out of hand, nip it in the bud etc...
If anyone can help, or relate to any of this, would be nice to hear from you... thanx... daz...

guitarpants
02-05-10, 05:54
When I was around that age I had similar thoughts. Death isn't something that children think about until at some point they are forced to think about it, and they realize that everyone dies at some point. Then they worry about their own morbidity, worry about their parents dying, etc. I'm pretty sure it'll pass. But like Amiee said, it'd be good for him to have someone to talk to, even if it's you.

BabyRachel
02-05-10, 11:18
I have been an anxious person since I was in primary school. Over time, things got better, and got worse, and got better, then worse etc.

I really think if I had a professional teach me coping skills and better ways of thinking I wouldnt have so many issues. Your son is only young, teaching him when he is developing I think would be very helpful. Who knows, he may grow up to be a not anxious person.. But the opposite could happen too.

Btw, I think your amazing for having been so strong throughout all the issues life has thrown at you.