PDA

View Full Version : Ativan - questions

jothenurse
02-05-10, 12:39
I was taking Ativan just prn (.25 mg) about a month ago. They then switched me to Klonopin and I was taking that .25 mg three times a day. One side effect was excessive salivation, so I stopped it and they switched me back to Ativan. I took the klonopin for about two weeks, and it did seem to help some. The problem is, is that the last few days, I took the Ativan maybe once a day one time and a couple of times the other days. My stomach is very unsettled (gaggy/dry heaving), which has been like this on and off during this anxiety, but it got worse. I spoke to the psychiatrist on call and he said the problem was that I needed to take more of the ativan - still the .25 mg, but more often because it is quick acting and doesn't stay in your system long. It sounded like I was getting some rebound/withdrawal effect or just not having my anxiety under control. It kind of bothers me because they originally said that with my low dose, I shouldn't have any problems with taking it prn and with rebound. I think I should be looking at more of an intermediate acting one that has better control. I feel like I am already "addicted" to the benzodiazepines. I took Serax 30 years ago for panic, which is more of an intermediate acting one, did well, and got off of it after many months of being on it.
Does anyone have any advice? I can not do the SSRI's - they make me sick, though I'm sure a lot of that has to do with my med phobia.

gtrgrl3369
02-05-10, 17:11
When I took Ativan, the only med I would take it never seemed to be short lasting. I would take .25 and it would last for hours. It calmed me right down and allowed me to sleep, which I so needed. I think some Drs. reactions to everything is more meds or up the dose. Ativan is very addicting as most of them are, but I didnt get upset stomach or anything for it. I hope you find something that helps.