PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia..... cooked chicken? Please help..x

fairyclairy
02-05-10, 18:10
Hi all,

Right ok, i might sound really stupid and pathetic here but could really do with some advice and support..

Iv just made myself some tea, and for the first time... handled and cooked raw chicken.. i washed my hands after touching it raw and then continued to fry it in the pan...

Im now CONVINCED i didnt wash my hands properly and im gona get ill!

The chicken was completely white (because i checked when i was eating it) but i cant help thinking i didnt cook it properly... or i didnt wash my hands right... or clean the surfaces enough!!

I know its pathetic, but i cant help but wonder... am i now going to be sick?!?

xx

margaret jones
02-05-10, 18:55
Hi seems to me you did everything correct when handling raw / cooked meats I am sure you will be fine ( was the chicken nice ? ) thats what i am having for supper xxx

Maggie

fairyclairy
02-05-10, 22:36
Thanks Margaret.. iv been fine tonight, so fingers crossed!
I feel like such a loon :blush:
Chicken was lovely thanku! Hope yours was too, x

Going home
02-05-10, 23:49
Glad you feel a bit better about it now, and I'm probably telling you something you already know but I buy an anti-bacterial handwash for the kitchen so if I have to handle raw meat etc, I know that as long as I wash my hands with this really well i'm safe. But well done you for going through this with emetophobia, you should be proud of yourself.

Anna xxx :)

Danath
03-05-10, 00:56
I get this a lot with chicken as I am/was emetophobic, but I've done it loads of times and not been ill yet. If you worry about your hands just wash them twice (but try not to do it constantly as you dont want to end up obsessive!) I must confess to almost burning my hands once or twice under the hot tap. Just basic hygeine and you'll be fine :)

fairyclairy
03-05-10, 12:19
Thanks guys, yeah im fine now... just got freeked out about cos iv got quite long nails so somehow thought i hadnt washed behind them enough an the raw chicken might have still been lurking... lol stupid i know!!

God i hate this phobia.. xx

millermoo
01-08-10, 16:26
if you are that worried why dont you use gloves, i get the same accept i dont handle the raw meat, i shout at every one else to wash there hands :) x

lee87
08-08-10, 00:53
Hey Fairyclairy

I have been a member on here for a few years but haven't been on for months. I suffer from Emetophobia too but it has been under control for the last 6 months after receiving therapy and being on medication etc. However, last week I did exactly the same as you...I cooked chicken and was so sure I was gonna get ill afterwards! I had the same worries as you, did I wash my hands properly, did I clean the raw chicken off the worktop, did it touch anywhere else? It seemed fine when I ate it and tasted nice and looked cooked but as soon as I had finished, I started to worry. I had a shower and then broke down in tears because its my first major setback in months.

I was fine in the end and of course didnt get ill, but because of this incident I thought I would come back on here as it used to help me a lot. Your post was the first post I clicked on and it relates to me so much that I felt I had to write.

I hope you are feeling happier about cooking chicken now? I am, although I don't think I will cook it very often as its just too stressful with emetophobia!!

Lee :)

x