PDA

View Full Version : Can't calm down

shortstuff
03-05-10, 14:36
My anxiety levels have been through the roof after almost choking on a metal fragment which was in my food last night. No matter what I do I just can't calm down and am having one panic attack after the other. I can't seem to break the cycle which is never a good sign for me.

Any thoughts to help?

bottleblond
03-05-10, 15:30
Hi Short

You must have got the fright of your life to find metal in your food.
Try to remember though that you have not been harmed thankfully.
I know it's very difficult but distract yourself. Keep busy until the panic cycle breaks and then replace the fear with anger and complain bitterly to the food manufacturer.

You will be fine hun

Lisa
x

shortstuff
03-05-10, 15:36
Thanks Lisa.
I intend to complain as I am furious. This is just not what I needed right now. I feel as though I am becoming more and more phobic as time goes on and am finding it difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. If its not one thing, its another and it's exhausting just trying to get on with everyday life.

Sorry to be on such a downer, I'm just not in a good place right now.

hallam11
03-05-10, 15:42
Hi,

Im sorry you had this unpleasant experience. I kind of know what you are going through, one time a few years ago I was in a restaurant with my sister, her fiancé and my mum and I choked on a piece of meat. I thought my ticket was up and I really panicked, luckily it kind of dislodged and I managed to swallow it but before that the whole restaurant saw it and god it was horrible. For days after I was a wreck and I really couldn't stop thinking about it. Anyway you will find soon that you will calm down. The best thing for me as a distraction is either watching my favourite tv program, writing all my feelings down or the alphabet game.
I hope you feel better soon, breathe and relax my friend. You are ok and will be fine!
x

sapphire109
03-05-10, 16:20
Hey Short, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It must be very frightening for not only that to happen to you, but also the thought of the possibility of being in that kind of danger. Life is full of risks, this common knowledge certainly doesn't help panic disorders at all, but you can accept this and work within your power to prevent such an incident happening again. In doing this, by complaining to the owners of your unfortunate experience you are taking something positive of the experience by making sure it doesn't happen again. It's great you have the intention of complaining to the owners to ensure the safety of other customers. I read up on stuff, my counsellor had be do an exercise how I could treat someone who's taking panic attacks and from all the literature they advise how you can feel empowered from the situation, because it makes you realise the strength you have within you. So next time something unfortunate happens and you go into a panic attack, beforehand or after the attack think of how you can do something about the situation which will justify your strength of character that will carry you through this hard time.

Chronic911
04-05-10, 00:09
My anxiety levels have been through the roof after almost choking on a metal fragment which was in my food last night. No matter what I do I just can't calm down and am having one panic attack after the other. I can't seem to break the cycle which is never a good sign for me.

Any thoughts to help?So sorry short. I hope the panic settles down for you. I have sort of a phobia about eating steak after almost choking myself several years ago. I still will eat a steak but I have to chew each piece of meat many times before I will swallow. What kind of metal fragment did you almost choke on? Were you panic free before this incident?

Going home
04-05-10, 00:15
I think in a situation like this we sort of keep re-living it and thinking of what could have happened, its a kind of smaller version of post traumatic stress in a way and that causes alot of anxiety, but give it time and it will pass.

Anna xx