PDA

View Full Version : lack of sleep or anxiety

feels_like_home
03-05-10, 20:34
I have not posted in a long time. I started having panic attacks and anxiety when I was about 23 (I am now 29). I went to councelling, homeopathic doctor, read lots of books etc to help me cope with my symptoms. I have been doing well for the past few years.

Then I decided to have a baby. I felt pretty good during my pregnancy. I was really worried about how I would feel. After I had the baby I felt really anxious for a few days, but it seemed to pass. Now my son is 4 months old and I have been feeling really anxious again.

On Saturday I felt horrible. I felt really scared and really out of it (depersonalization). The feeling lasted all afternoon. I finally forced myself to go shopping and it passed. Yesterday i felt fine, just a little tired. That is pretty normal as my son does not sleep well at all. I woke up today feeling great and then slowly started to feel really tired. My husband wanted to go shopping. I felt horrible, but didn't want to give in to the anxiety. We just got down the street and I felt like I was going to faint. The sun was really bright and I felt like my vision was going funny and found it hard to breath and concentrate. I asked him to take me home.

I am home now and feeling a little shaky and really tired. I want to know if this is my axiety coming back or if it is just the lack of sleep catching up with me? I just feel so tired, weak and faint lately.

Thanks for listening.

Michelle

RichW
03-05-10, 22:31
Hi Michelle

Sorry to hear you're not doing too well. Lack of sleep can definintely mimic the symptoms of DP i.e. feeling like you're not with it and on auto-pilot. The lack of sleep can also increase anxiety levels - most definitely, which in turn can bring on DP - it's a real vicious cycle. Try alternating nights with your hubby in terms of feeding, there's no reason why formula can't be used. Also try to get the little one sleeping in a cot and more impotantly in another room. I hope you start to feel better soon.

All the best

Rich

eeyorelover
03-05-10, 22:46
Hi Michelle,
Definitely lack of sleep can cause your anxiety to kick in worse than if you were well rested.
Maybe you could get someone to watch the little one so you can get some rest.
Hope you feel better real soon!
xxx
Sandy

feels_like_home
03-05-10, 22:51
Thank you for the replies. I think it is time for me to start taking care of me as well.
Michelle