PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm a newbie called Harri

princessharriet
04-05-10, 17:08
Hi there,

I'm new to this website and let me start by saying how relieved I am to see so many like-minded people in one place.

I have had panic attacks since I was about 15-16 and find it really hard to relax on a daily basis, the worst is late at night when I am meant to be going to sleep it makes me worry more for some reason...I also have a really bad phobia of being sick and over the years have started to do anything to avoid being put in a situation that will potentially make me feel ill. It's taking over my life!! My GP treats me with a certain disdain as I go so often thinking I have got tumours, cancer, heart disease, other life-threatening ailments, when medically I am healthy. She has put me on a waiting list to see a therapist with the NHS and removed me and put me back on it again for almost 2 years now...Please help me/give advice my head is baked and I can't afford a therapist!

Thanks

Harri xx :winks:

diane07
04-05-10, 17:10
Hi princessharriet

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Vanilla Sky
04-05-10, 21:25
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

phattgal
04-05-10, 21:40
Hi Harri
I'm a newbie too although not a newbie to the anxiety it's a horrible place to be in isn't it, I too feel that the doctor is thinking "here she is again, what this time," and then fob me off. I would love for my doc to help me in some way too either some therapy or meds but no help as yet I think the best we can do is all try to help each other with reassurance and kind words
Jo x

oneofus
04-05-10, 21:54
Harri,

I can't say why your GP has put off arranging for you to see a therapist, though funding for mental health issues is not a priority sadly! But since you seem to be suffering atypical anxiety Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) should help and you can undertake CBT online see Beating The Blues http://www.beatingtheblues.co.uk/ or Living Life to the Full http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/. Both have backing from the NHS to a certain extent. Self help books can also be really useful, even though it sounds an odd thing to cure anxiety by reading about it.

Good luck