PDA

View Full Version : In a panic about husband

countrygirl
04-05-10, 17:24
I posted last week that he had flu 7 weeks ago which gave horrible cough ( I had it too but I got better) he says he feels fine and is doing everything he normally does but he has the most horrible cough that makes people move away from him in public. He has finally agreed to see Dr and is going tomorrow morning - common sense tells me he has infection possibly not in his lungs as he says he can breathe fine but he did say he was coughing up green stuff from his throat so probably tracheitis and he has sinus trouble as well so no doubt infection there as well BUT the health anxiety part of me is saying he needs a chest x ray in case he has lung cancer or tb or something like that and what if the GP jsut gives him antibiotics.

I need a bit of common sense talked into me here!

margaret jones
04-05-10, 17:28
Well Mrs giver of good advice bless you worrying about others i hope all turns out well for you and hubby , you no that if he sounds chest he can usually tell what the prob is i am sure he will organise x ray if he is concerned try not to worry hun wait and see what dr says

Take Care Maggie

gypsywomen
04-05-10, 17:30
the docter will do what he thinks best it sounds like infection ,if very bad he will send him for x ray to make sure nothing more ,try not to worry,,

Bexmumto3
04-05-10, 18:46
My husband was like this last year after we all had swine flu, he had several chest x-rays which showed infection in his lungs, he had numerous different courses of antibiotics & it took forever to clear but it eventually did.
Try not to worry, I'm sure he will be fine x

smpomeroy
05-05-10, 01:57
if he is having sinus trouble that can give you the most vile cough ever - I had it last summer for 6 weeks and the cough lasted another 3 months after it - I had several courses of antibiotics, blood tests and chest x-rays all of which were clear so I hope that gived you some peace of mind.

its hard not to worry I know but try to remind yourself to keep perspective and not to jump to conclusions.... hope he gets sorted its horrid having a cough like that.

suz

countrygirl
05-05-10, 09:17
Well he is at Drs now so chewing my nails at moment - hope she sends him for chest x ray for my peace of mind!

Will let you all know.

countrygirl
05-05-10, 09:37
He's back from Dr and his chest is clear as a bell no infection at all and like previous poster said the Dr thinks its very very bad post nasal drip - she is seeing loads of patients with same symptoms and exact same cough in fact my husband was second in 4 patients this morning with it. She said antibitoics seem be making it worse as they thicken up the mucus in sinuses and she is treating patients with nasal spray.

She said as soon as she heard him cough she knew what it was as everyone with it has same cough. So she said use the nasal spray - it should stabalise things in a few days but won't have full effect for 2 weeks - if he feels worse - he has had pneumonia so knows the signs of infection going to lungs - then he has to go back obviously but it seems as if this is one of the side effects of the flu that went around- you either get better in about 3 weeks or you get this nasty post nasal drip.

MightyPC
05-05-10, 13:00
Glad to hear countrygirl. Interesting, as I went to the drs on Friday suffering with PND, cough sometimes chesty or dry, frequent high temperature and hot eyes, like a wind blowing at them. She mentioned the same thing that she had seen an increase in people all with similar symptons. She gave me a nose spray, Beconase but stronger than the one you get over the counter and some antihistamines.

countrygirl
05-05-10, 16:58
Yep husband has got a beconase stronger than the over the counter one as well. There are some weird bugs going around for sure - the flu we had was very nasty its many many years since I had a temp as high as that one!

MightyPC
05-05-10, 17:00
How long did you have this flu for and did you get alot of pain and aches?

margaret jones
05-05-10, 17:34
Good news then hope things soon improve and maybe the sun coming out might help us all

Take Care Maggie

countrygirl
05-05-10, 22:14
The worst of the flu lasted about 4 days with 2 days of very high temp and the terrible flu ache and shivers - the terrible cough came at same time and then another 2 days of normal temp but feeling very weak and faint if moved around. The cough lasted 3-4 weeks with me plus really bad sinuses as well - I thought I would never get rid of the feeling as if my sinuses were on fire!

I saw the Dr twice! over this time and thankfully lungs were cleat but she said it was proper flu _ I had forgotten how horrible proper flu is:weep:

allergyphobia
05-05-10, 22:41
if he is having sinus trouble that can give you the most vile cough ever - I had it last summer for 6 weeks and the cough lasted another 3 months after it - I had several courses of antibiotics, blood tests and chest x-rays all of which were clear so I hope that gived you some peace of mind.

its hard not to worry I know but try to remind yourself to keep perspective and not to jump to conclusions.... hope he gets sorted its horrid having a cough like that.

suz

hi suz, did your cough go away on its own in the end?

wenlast
09-06-10, 12:08
We take Echinacea from October to March,we have never had a cold or flue in the times we have taken it which is about 10 years,the only time we had a bad humdinger of a cold was 3 years ago when my mother in law was very ill in hospital and we did not take it,you must get the drops which you put in a drop of water and see what you think,we are in our seveties now.

debbsi
09-06-10, 13:01
I had a horrible virus earlier in March this year that turned out to be acute bronchitis - my husband and son had a cough and cold at the same time but recovered in a couple of weeks. I was still coughing up stuff 2 months later - and I still have pain in my rib / chest muscles now.
I had a chest xray last week - it was clear - but when the gp said i had bronchitis - he warned me it would take weeks to clear. I've never had anything like it before (i dont smoke or have asthma) it was horrible and quite scary - but I'm almost fine now - nothing to worry about :)