PDA

View Full Version : do any of u,,,

tina2004
17-02-04, 15:05
i used to clean my house constantly but now not so bad ,any way for a few months now i keep having to really wash thing so they r clean,,my hands,clothes,,but the worse thing is cooking,if im making something to eat i get a stupid thought in my head saying the pot was dirty and i wont eat what ive cooked incase i get poisoned and i get no well,id rather get a takeaway than cook which i know is daft cause u never know who cooks them but its really doing my head in,im currently not taking any tablets for my anxiety as im too scared of side effects.

Helena
18-02-04, 08:53
Hi Tina2004,

Medication isn't your only option, although it can be helpful and you can talk to your doctor about side effects. It sounds though at this stage that cognitive behavioural therapy would be particularly helpful as you seem to have insight into what is going on for you. If you get some assistance now in challenging your negative thoughts and impulses you can prevent this anxiety from impacting any further on your life. I am a psychologist and have worked with many people suffering with anxiety problems and OCD and, whilst some people may always be a little more on the anxious side than others, everyone I have worked with has been able to reduce the impact that the anxiety has on their lives and learnt to cope with their anxiety better. Your GP will be able to refer you to see someone, but there is usually a wait. Or else you can look on the British Psychological Society website or the yellow pages for a private psychologist.

Helena