PDA

View Full Version : Hiya NMP - 6 months ago, I had no problems. Pull up a chair, here's my story.

Tell
05-05-10, 00:51
I'm in my early 20's - male, and on paper should be quite content with life. I have some great friends, my own well-performing business, plenty of talents/hobbies..well, you get the picture. With people in the world suffering from problems such as cancer, severe heart disease.. I feel guilty even stating that I have a condition.

Wind back to around 12 months ago - a person I had been living with was unbearable. A backstabbing piece of shit, whose only motivations are decided by what could possibly improve his ego. You know that guy who will argue for an hour straight about the colour of the paint on the wall? Yeah, think that guy. Except imagine he's colourblind and still arguing with you. And then he's threatening to kill himself whenever he isn't getting his way.

I won't go into a great amount of detail on it - my writing style is already too recognisable as it is, without giving away a lot of personal info on my life. But let's just skip forward to 6-7 months ago. I'm still living with the same level of intolerance, only due to the fear of having to live with someone's suicide over my head. When it finally arrives to breaking point, and I'm having trouble getting myself out of bed in the morning, I find a very stupid escape. I start taking cocaine, and ecstasy. In hindsight, I wish the guy just did kill himself. Would've made my life a hell of a lot easier in the long run.

2 months of usage in, and I'm mixing any drug I can get my hands on - **** me did it make things easier! Weekdays dragged on the same as usual, but at the weekend I could finally go for stress relief. It was dumbing me down too - and I didn't mind this at all. My mind was finally resting. I could just stare into space for hours on end without a care in the world. All the ideas I had for improving my business were leaving - everything from musical ability to skills in playing sudoku were fading. And it was near bliss.

Now, I've always had an invincibility complex - it was probably my strongest trait. Nothing could take me down. I was about to prove myself quite wrong. Things in the real world were starting to get on top of me - firstly, I was not living with the person in question anymore. There's not a lot of detail I can give on that, but it did involve a grand finale in pissing me off. Think enough to drive most people to their own suicide - but regardless, I carried on. This unfortunately made my chemical abuse worse. And I leveled that out with more chemical abuse. And eventually my own confidence got the better of me - I went too far, and spent 3 days shoving shit up my nose, and drinking vodka. Eventually rationality set in, and I decided to go home and bring myself down.

4 hours later I was in the ER with my first ever full blown panic attack, spurred on by the fact that my heart was in a dangerous place itself. I had to be given valium to calm down. This was the last time I ever took a recreational drug.

This is also when my real problems began - I was told, nay, PROMISED that I was just having withdrawals from my usage. Constant fear, paranoia, depression. Spells of absolute horror - going from smiling and chatting to thinking I was going to drop dead. Hot flushes, blurred vision, numbness, severe agitation. Refused to do so much as drive. When I go to the bathroom, I'm afraid of collapsing with a fatal issue and not being discovered. When I'm in work, I'm afraid of putting my head down on my desk incase nobody notices me passing out (which has never happened before). Afterglow of fear for hours on end. It was torture. I persevered, promising myself I'd be better after the withdrawals. A few weeks to go, and I'm going to be great again.

And things did get a little better. 3 Months and several hospital/doctor visits later, every cardiovascular related test under the sun completed, and I'm coming to terms with the fact that my heart is safe. But in that time, I have also been diagnosed with Panic disorder. I usually only have around 3-4 hours every day where I am not thinking about my symptoms - just a constant "I'm not right/I'm sick with some unknown disease/I'm going to drop dead/I'm having a panic attack right NOW" feeling. I'm completely self aware - I eat something, and I feel every tiny effect from everything contained in it. I think about my death all day long, how it would affect other people. How it won't matter in the long run - think total existential crisis, for most of my day. My symptoms while being mostly thought trains, are also very physical. Stabbing pains in my heart, light-headedness/confusion, and blurred vision.

Unfortunately, there is no chance of this being withdrawal related any longer - I'm far past the withdrawal stages. Everything else has come back to normal - from writing music to business proposals.

I have refused SSRI's and Benzodiazepams. I'm of the belief that if I need chemical stimulants to recover, I'm better off to stay being punished for my own stupid actions that got me into this position. If I drink alcohol, I can stop thinking about it so much, and almost act normal again - which is all well and fine until the morning after, where I'm normally hit with both a massive hangover, and a day-long panic attack, coupled with depression. The only silver lining here is it puts me off drinking so much that I could never possibly become an alcoholic.

On the outside, I'm starting to break. I'm still outwardly very confident - a lot of people I have spoke to think I'm just joking when it comes to telling them I have panic disorder. But lately it's been breaking through. I've been getting upset at the fact that I'm broken compared to how invincible I used to be - I can't drink for 3 days straight and still show up for work at 8am on Monday morning, put in a cracking performance and not feel the need to drink for another month. I can't eat junk food for a day straight (enough to disgust most people), and feel no consequence - and trust me, with my metabolism, there really is no consequence. I can't spend a day with friends without starting to think I'm about to have a breakdown, for no reason at all. I'm borderline about to lose my job because of the amount of times I've had to leave work early because of the panic getting too extreme to deal with. And nothing makes me worse than "are you alright?".

While on an intellectual level I've returned to myself, on a personal and social level I'll never be the same. I'm starting to accept the fact that I'm stuck in this position forever, and it's making me crack. I've adjusted my diet, I've meditated, I exercise and I constantly do things that I enjoy - there are good days and there are bad days, but ultimately, nothing is helping.

I'm near at my wits end - while I'd love to say "I'd rather die than deal with a life of this", my paralysing fear of death would only leave that an empty threat.

And with that, hello NMP. Nice to meet you all.

nomorepanic
05-05-10, 00:55
Hi Tell

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Going home
05-05-10, 01:08
Hi there and welcome to nmp. I would say you're still in withrawal...who gave you a time frame for it anyway? We're all individuals and in my experience and in alot of other people's, it takes longer than 6 months for your system to start behaving itself properly. Also you sound like you have an addictive personality, as soon as you kick one habit its replaced by another...don't worry alot of us here are the same.

It sounds like you're very focused on how you're feeling and measuring it against your percieved idea of withdrawal and this will make your anxiety worse. Try not to dwell on time frames, if you really aren't on any stimulents these days then you will get there eventually and now that you are one of us, we can all help you through it.

Anna xxx :flowers:

suzy-sue
05-05-10, 13:30
Hi and a big :welcome:to NMP ..Considering how much you have been thru emotionally and I do relate to that .And also the ammount of abuse your body has endured with drugs and alcohol .Its not at all suprising to hear you still feel like you do to be honest .Any recovery takes time and there is no time limit to how long this will take .We all have our own tales to tell and these problems take a while ,sometimes a very long while ,to develop .They may take the same amount of time for you to recover or even longer .Once you accept this and stop feeling that you are beaten the quicker you will start to recover .Each day is one step nearer that goal .Small steps and taking each day as it comes will really help you .I could write a very long response to you but for now this is the begining of your Journey to recovery .No ammount of words will be able to make you feel better at the moment .But with stength determination and positive thinking .You will be on your way .You will find a lot of support here .Take care .Luv Sue x

daydreamer
05-05-10, 14:05
Hey! sounds to me like you need to stop beating yourself up about what you did, stop blaming yourself and hating yourself! who's to say that if you hadnt done the drugs that something else wouldnt have eventually changed you?

There were reasons why you did what you did, everyone makes silly decisions at some point in their lives, your not alone there! You've had a wake up call and thats a good thing, for your body and your mind! Now you just need time to heal.

I can understand why you dont want to go down the medication route so soon after whats happened but if your not coping with the anxiety have you considered having some kind of talking therapy/CBT? Im sure it would be a great help, maybe you could consider it? Theres nothing wrong with admitting you have anxiety or asking for help! Dont suffer in silence just to punish yourself, you've learnt your lesson big style, so be good to yourself and Im sure if you get the right help now the anxiety will start to subside sooner, wishing you luck :)

Tell
05-05-10, 14:12
Thanks for the kind words folks - even just writing the above long-winded essay did help me feel a lot better.

@Going Home: I would strongly doubt there are any withdrawals at this stage. 2-3months of recreational usage (normally one day every 2~ weeks) and one "grand finale" cocktail would not take 5-6 months to exit your body. I also have zero psychological or physical urges towards taking any of these drugs again - while I've never been full on anti-drugs, I've never really agreed with anyone taking them. That mindset returned very swiftly after the final time I used them.

Veronica H
05-05-10, 14:46
:welcome:to NMP Tell. This is an illness of how we think....

While on an intellectual level I've returned to myself, on a personal and social level I'll never be the same. I'm starting to accept the fact that I'm stuck in this position forever, and it's making me crack. I've adjusted my diet, I've meditated, I exercise and I constantly do things that I enjoy - there are good days and there are bad days, but ultimately, nothing is helping.

I'm near at my wits end - while I'd love to say "I'd rather die than deal with a life of this", my paralysing fear of death would only leave that an empty threat.....

There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Have you tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or Mindfulness Tell? Both also good for us overthinkers. Another book which has really helped me is;

Matthieu Ricard ' Happiness...a guide to developing life's most important skill ' published by Atlantic ISBN 978-1-84354-558-3.He is a French Buddhist monk and a very accomplished man....here is a link to one of his talks.....

http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_on_the_habits_of_happiness.html

This will get better. Veronicax

Brunette
05-05-10, 15:13
Hi there Tell,

Anxiety takes TIME to recover from and everyone's different so don't beat yourself up about it. You realise you are not invincible. You realise need to look after yourself, that doesn't mean your old life is over.

You'll benefit greatly from knowing what's happeining to you and why, so I'd agree with Veronica H about the Dr, Claire Weekes book - it is a bit old fashoined but is simple to read and makes sense.

There are also plenty of other books on anxiety if you care to look on Amazon. You might also try a CD on medical hypnosis by Steven Gurgevich which explains how much of our anxiety is our subconscious.

Hope you are feeling better soon, but if not soon, later :)