PDA

View Full Version : Sensory Overload

BunnyMazonas
05-05-10, 15:22
I work in a busy office environment that has only gotten more busy over time; various departments have been merged, and others have been moved closer together. My department is now in a very small space and surrounded by loud call centres (my department is not a call centre itself so we're usually more quiet) - we work in hospitality so the recent issues with BA strikes, the Ash crisis and other problems mean the call centres are incredibly busy, loud places. Not the fault of anyone here - people are under a lot of strain and the noise is unavoidable - but it makes it really hard for me to cope.

I've always been what my mum calls "away with the fairies" - when I was a child going through certain unpleasant things I spent more time in my own mind than the real world, I can be having a conversation with someone and just *switch off* and suddenly not hear, or be aware of what is being said. I cannot remember where I put things down seconds after doing so and sometimes engage in little compulsive repetetive things - scratching, tearing my nails, needing to hug onto something soft - but lately its become worse.

I can be in the office, and if it gets too loud or busy or chaotic my mind just switches off. I'll be staring at my screen and just unable to get an action or thought to form enough for me to act, floating off into my own world. Its like my senses are overloaded and something stutters, like a computer crash. I forget a lot of stuff as well - my other half has taken to joking about the idea that he could just "make up" whatever he wanted about conversations we'd had and I wouldn't know any different!

Any one else get this sort of thing? Any ideas on how to keep grounded in the real world? I mean... I don't mind the brain fuzzies - it's kinda nice in there sometimes - but I need to be able to work!

rblt94
07-05-10, 00:31
I don't exactly match your description, but all I can advise is to maybe practice at home such as turning on radios and tvs and trying to read a book..something similar. Also, maybe try some breathing exercises to calm yourself down..and maybe it could help your focus.
Hope things work out, don't give up!