PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram?

MrsJaredLeto
05-05-10, 16:30
I've just been prescribed these at 20mg every morning but of course I went and read possible side effects now I'm terrified!! Any experiences on these... Good or bad? Please be HONEST!!

MightyPC
05-05-10, 16:59
I have been on them for 8 weeks now and the side effects have just eased off. I have piled on weight 4kgs and cannot stop eating. The worst for me was fatigue am I am not talking tired, Im talking unable to get out of bed or having to go back to bed after an hour or so. Alot of PND, heighten anxiety upon waking, yawning, headaches and joint pain, which is mentioned but not under the symptons. However, we are all differrent and will have varying side effects, if any at all.

On a positive note, everyone that has posted on here about Citalopram think they are good and work. I am sure you will be okay and good luck.

MrsJaredLeto
05-05-10, 17:02
Oh dear :( I'm sorry your side effects are so bad!
I hope the heightened anxiety doesn't happen as that's why i'm taking them!!

MightyPC
05-05-10, 17:04
It didnt last too long for me, probably a week or so.

NeverRelaxed
05-05-10, 20:39
Ive been on them for a week.started on half a tablet.

I have had lots of side effects but they have all been to a mild to moderate degree of severity. The worst side effects Ive had have been sleep disturbances and teeth grinding/jaw clenching...About 40 mins after I take the tablet I get really buzzy and jittery and quite euphoric.

crazy lady
05-05-10, 20:56
Hi, I'm annette and I have been taking Citalopram for about 6 weeks now and they have lifted me a lot, I started on 10mg but recently just started taking 15mg as I had a bad weekend of bad thoughts. I too have bad nights, can't and recently hot tingling fit and fidgety in bed.......hope you will be ok........has anyone else had these feelings?

ladybird64
05-05-10, 21:03
Hi all.

Just to remind you that there is a section devoted to Citalpram here.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=49

You will probably get more information there. :)

Vanilla Sky
05-05-10, 21:04
I am into my 4th week of Citalapram , and like you i have a bit of a med phobia, but it was either carry on as i was which was pretty crap or take a chance and possibly feel better given time . Taking the first one was a huge drama :blush: But however i did and like i say im 4 weeks in now. the 1st week i felt tired, lost my appetite a bit but i slept better. I can't say my anxiety was much higher than it normally is and still isn't. Apart from sleeping better i have noticed the odd anxiety free moments so thats good. Also i work with the elderly and a lot of them are on Citalapram and not one of them say anything about side effects ... which is interesting because i think we focus to much on it and i think a lot of what we think are side effects , are not .
Go ahead and take it , what have you got to loose ? I am starting to get glimpses of not having anxiety, surley thats a good thing and better than being a nervous wreck lol. We are all different , you might not get any side effects then worry about that !
Good luck, Paige :)

Jannie2948
05-05-10, 21:17
Hi there, I am 6 months into taking citalopram, started on 20mg then upped to 40mg after 3 months. At first the side effects were pretty bad, and my anxiety was heightened for the first couple of weeks. After about 6 weeks I started to improve and the side effects had pretty much gone. Then after 3 months I was still feeling somewhat anxious (which is what I suffer from anxiety/panic) so Dr increased dosage to 40mg, which he said is the best dosage for anxiety. Now 8 weeks later I feel really good. Still have the odd moment of lightheaded/dizzy but nothing like I used to be.

I would say that they definitely work for me and I feel so much better than I did late last year. You should read the Citalopram Survival Guide on here, which helped me at the start of taking the meds. I also take a few different vitamins that I have found out about on here. I have also read in some places that it can take up to 6 months to really feel the benefit of the meds so you have to persevere with them, but as I say in my case, it has really worked for me.

I wish you all the best.

Jannie x x

crazyhayz
05-05-10, 22:28
Citalopram has been my saviour x

MrsJaredLeto
05-05-10, 22:36
Thanks guys :) it seems it's a kinda "persevere and it will be worth it" attitude then.
It's just my dreadful fear of taking new meds and side effects plus I'm on other meds so I'm terrified of interaction and blah blah! U guys know how it is!!
Thanks for replies xx

dw2121
06-05-10, 11:23
Citalapram is very effective , my side effects consisted of insomnia for 2 weeks, increased anxiety and feeling spacey, after 1 month once the tablets are in your system this is when the benifts start to really kick in.

be warned, do not come off them straight away , you need to take 20mg 1 day then 10mg the following and so on for a month, then go down to 5mg.

Whilst your on the meds, try and work on what causes the anxiety, train your mind to work for you not against you, if you smoke quit, if you drink too much alchohol cut back like wise with cafeene and and other stimulants, excersie is the best medicine for anxiety.

Nattyburt
06-05-10, 13:12
Ive been on 30 mg for anxiety for about 2 years. I get some side effects - achy joints/dry mouth but overall i think they are pretty good. I do remember it being quite difficult when i first started them but i felt much better within a month. If you have started taking them - persevere as you really will feel an improvementhttp://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/smilies/yesyes.gif